THE STARS, IF YOU WISH ON THEM

BLOOD RUSHED IN JUNE'S EARS as they walked through the crowd

BLOOD RUSHED IN JUNE'S EARS as they walked through the crowd. Her heart was beating so hard she could feel it thrumming throughout her entire body. The whispers in her head were going into a frenzy, murmuring about Percy.

The demigods parted for them as Annabeth led them through the forum. Piper was on her right, clutching the blonde's hand protectively. Jason was on her left, posture straight and confident. He must've looked exactly like the powerful praetor they used to know, because the Romans whispered his name, staring at him in awe.

June and Leo walked a bit behind them. Leo was fiddling with his toolbelt, and June kept peeking out from behind Piper, trying to catch a glimpse of Percy. She barely noticed their surroundings, or the people around them. It was like her vision was tunneling. Her voices were counting down quietly in the back of her mind. She ignored them.

Some part of June's mind registered Tyson at the far end of the crowd, waving at them; the gilded Roman columns; the gleaming fountains; the mosaics; the smell of food in the air. But she wasn't very hungry after eating the sandwiches Jason had made. 

Her eyes landed on the beautiful girl approaching them. Her hair, dark and glossy, was braided into a wreath around her head. Laurel leaves were woven into it. She was clad in full battle armor and a royal purple cape.

Her eyes, black as coal, were trained on Annabeth alone. Even without Jason's description of her, June would've immediately known that she was the leader. She had to be Reyna, Jason's friend and fellow praetor. Who else would be adorned with so many medals and accolades? She walked with such confidence that most of the demigods in her vicinity were too afraid to even meet her gaze.

Annabeth wasn't, of course. The two girls gazed at each other for a long moment.

"Um," Leo whispered to June from the corner of his mouth. "Is there supposed to be this much tension right now? Because it is stressing me out."

June saw Piper's hand (the one that wasn't holding Annabeth's) flex. She hadn't left Annabeth's side, and was now glancing back and forth between Reyna and Annabeth's staring match with a strange look on her face.

Jason, thankfully, cleared his throat. Reyna shifted her attention to him. Her eyes brightened. 

"Jason Grace, my best friend," she announced. "We welcome you home with open arms. And your friends—"

"Percy," Annabeth inhaled sharply, stepping forward. Before she could go any further, Piper placed a warning hand on her arm. June's anxiety spiked. Annabeth had been surprising her with random judo-flips for the past two weeks, and she really hoped the daughter of Athena would know better than to attack him in the middle of New Rome.

"Not a good idea, Beth," June muttered, before realizing what she had said. "Wait, did you just say Perc— OOMPH!"

A figure had come barreling at her, knocking aside Leo and Piper and tackling her into a fierce hug. Strong arms circled her waist, and familiar black locks of hair tickled her cheek.