Chapter 5

"Ephyra," several mermaids hissed as the figure swam into the clearing. She just flashed them a grin in response, stirring sand up into their faces in a way that couldn't have been accidental.

There was something... Different about this mermaid, though Pretie couldn't place what it was. Perhaps it was the way her hair was cropped short—the sides and back sheared close to the scalp, while the top remained just long enough to wave as she moved—in great contrast to the long locks of many of the others surrounding them. It could have been the shape of her tail, which somehow seemed less delicate than Nehla and the others, with more angular fins and a strange pattern of spots that started at the tip of her tail and spread all the way to her shoulders. 

For all Pretie knew, it could have been the way she moved around the clearing as if she owned the place. Each lazy swish of her cornflower blue tail seemed to make the other mermaids flinch. She wore a lackadaisical grin all the while, taking her time drifting around the space before she finally made her way to Pretie.

"Princess Prettypants," the mermaid greeted. "What an honor it is to meet you."

"It's Pretie Panton," she corrected, raising an eyebrow. "Who are you?"

The words brought a smile to the mermaid's face. Pretie was close enough now to spot a shimmering scar tracing one side of her face, narrowly missing one of her dark eyes. "Ephyra."

"Nice to meet you." Pretie replied tentatively. Her gaze darted up to allow her a glance around the clearing. The other mermaids were watching the interaction from a distance, their expressions wary. Just who is this girl? Should I be scared of her, too?

"Well, now that that's settled, I'll bet you'd love to know the solution to your predicament, Princess Prettypants."

"It's Pretie. Pretie Panton."

"Isn't that what I said?" Ephyra's sharp-toothed grin revealed that it was very much not what she'd said.

Pretie crossed her arms. "The solution?"

"You're in luck, because you just so happen to be facing the most experienced adventurer in all the gods-almighty seas." When Pretie remained silent, the mermaid rolled her eyes. "I know what you're thinking. 'But why would the most amazing adventurer want to help me?' Well... The solution to your problem happens to be an adventure I've wanted to go on for a long, long time."

Confused, Pretie could do little but stare.

Ephyra snorted, the tip of her tail flicking as she drew closer. She stretched out her hand. "Just... Come with me? I'll answer all of your questions, I promise."

She glanced over to the other mermaids. A few of them seemed to have lost interest in the conversation, chatting among themselves or beginning to swim away from the clearing altogether. Nehla still continued to watch Pretie, her eyebrows hitching upwards as they locked eyes. The girl looked away, torn. 

"I... I guess so." She finally responded, her gaze returning to Ephyra. 

A grin flashed across her face and she grabbed Pretie by the wrist, tugging her up from where she'd been sitting on the sand. The girl just began to float upwards, pitiful as a dead fish. Almost forgot that I have a tail I need to learn how to use, she grumbled to herself as she wriggled helplessly, only succeeding in spinning herself around.

"Flex the muscles by your hip," Ephyra advised, watching Pretie with a mildly amused expression. "And your core." She patted her own lower stomach.

Biting back a frustrated retort, Pretie did as she said, focusing on the areas of muscles the mermaid had mentioned. At first, she only managed to rotate in a slow circle before she was finally able to summon a flap of her tail.