Chapter 7- A Second Chance

Y/n gathered up all her materials when all of a sudden there was a knock at the door, she opened it to find BaileyWick's friendly face. "The Queen has requested a meeting with you," he announced.

Y/n's heart sank to her stomach. 'Oh no, she's going to send me home, I'm not good enough to paint the Royal Family's portrait!' she panicked.

"She's in her royal study, come this way," the white-haired man said leading the way. Y/n was filled to the brim with nerves as she made her way to her meeting with the Queen. "Here we are," BaileyWick declared as he opened the door.

"Ah Y/n," The Queen spoke in a kind voice, welcoming the artist, "come on in."

"Your majesty," Y/n started to say as she approached the Queen heartbrokenly, "I'm so sorry, and I completely understand if you don't want me to be in this Castle anymore-"

"Not at all my dear," The Queen spoke as she held a fountain pen, " I was just going to schedule our next appointment for our portrait, what day works best for you?"

"You mean you still want me to paint your family portrait?" Y/n asked confused.

"Why of course my dear," the Queen smiled, "how about tomorrow at noon?

"That would be perfect," Y/n said in relief, "thank you, your majesty."

- © -

Y/n raced to The Gardens of the castle, only to find Cedric leaning up against the tree waiting for her. "Cedric!" the yellow-dressed girl giggled as she made her way to the sorcerer. "I have another chance at the portrait!" she smiled as she skipped to the nearby tree.

"Excellent!" The wizard encouraged as he stepped away from the tree.

"Now I just have to make sure that everything is perfect," Y/n said as she made a mental note of her assignment

"It doesn't need to be perfect,” Cedric noted, as he took Y/n's hand in reassurance. "As long as you do your best it's all that matters."

Y/n blushed at the affectionate wizard, "thank you, Cedric," she whispered. The awkward man looked down to see that he was still holding Y/n's hand, she took it upon herself to link the wizard's arm. "So," she said as she began to walk, "you were going to show me around?"

"Of course," Cedric said bashfully, "this way."

With that the two went exploring, Cedric showed her everything from the gardens to the castle. Along the way, the young couple chatted about stories and experiences. Soon the night fell and it was time for bed, Y/n needed to get up bright and early for the portrait. Cedric took the liberty of walking her to her room. "Thank you for the day," Y/n said with slightly rosy cheeks.

"Well I enjoyed it," Cedric said seeing her to her door, "and if you need me to help clean up, I'm just a call away," he said as he waved his stick-like wand into the air.

Just then out of thin air appeared a singular flower.

"A yellow rose?" Y/n gushed as she took the flower, "My favourite!"

"To match your dress," The wizard admitted as he placed his hands behind his back.

"Thank you very much," Y/n whispered one last time as she opened the door to her room. She looked back at the tall man wanting nothing more than to kiss him on the cheek.

As if Cedric read her mind his face became completely flushed, "um well," he struggled to say, "will I be seeing you tomorrow?"

Pausing for a moment Y/n moved away from the wizard with a soft smile, "I would like that very much," she said retreating from her plans to kiss him.

"Tomorrow then," Cedric said as he backed away slowly, regretting not kissing the pretty lady.

"Tomorrow," Y/n replied, and just like that Y/n and Cedric left one another, wishing that they had been braver.