[Ch-3] Devoid Of Substance

There's an unpopular saying.

"Upon they speak,
The undying wish you wish
Is unable to touch your fingertip
as it moves far."

[Above art and quote by VinnyBamrou]

That specific day, when Wang Lei and Yuxuan were fooling around, something of a miracle had happened.
They had encountered a Kicker.
It was not just any Kicker, it was of a special breed.
But they hadn't known that. Atleast, one of them didn't.

The moment they both stared into the Kicker's eyes, all their surroundings had vanished. Everything had turned into a clear white space in their eyes, and all they could really see was the creature.
They both couldn't move. They couldn't stop looking at the creature. Just one question they had to answer, and maybe they'd be free after it. Yet, they did not know how. Wang Lei was shaking with fear, and no matter how much he tried, he couldn't move his legs. They were frozen to the ground. He looked at Yuxuan, who seemed to be saying something, but it was inaudible. Yuxuan slowly turned his head and looked at him. He kept staring at him while Wang Lei tried to figure out what was going on.

"Yuxuan, help me!" he screamed. No, Yuxuan didn't move from his place. Not a single bit. Lei was starting to get frustrated, but something came to his mind right on time.

He said to the Kicker, "I'm blind."

That's all he said, and the whole blank space turned back into the road they were walking on. He was so relieved, but when he looked to the side, he didn't see Yuxuan. He was about to panic again, just when someone tapped his shoulder from the back.

It was Yuxuan. Seeing him, he was utterly relieved. "What happened there?," he asked.

Yuxuan was silent for a while, but after seemingly thinking of something, he replied, "It was a vacuum, or in simple words, a void. A completely empty space devoid of matter. It contained nothingness. No oxygen, no gases at all. No surroundings either. No, nothing. We were in a state of nothingness. The reason we're okay is that we're both already dead."

"You're serious ?" Wang Lei was shook.

"I am indeed. If this Kicker had been in any place in the Earth, and a human encountered it.... The human would be dead."

"Are you....serious...?
Is it..possible for a Kicker to be on Earth ?"

"It is, ofcourse. although, i'd say this kind is a bit rarer. You see, there are different breeds of Kickers. Mainly, there are two kinds. The ones easy to deal with, and the ones who are almost impossible to deal with. What you did there was something not much people have thought of. It might seem like it's a thing people would try, but since it's harder to actually face things in real life, most people hesitated and took too long. It....caused their death."

Lei stared, a horrified expression he had. He went quiet for a while. He thought to himself, "Would I have died if I had taken even slightly longer to reply?" Although, soon he spoke again.
"...I feel bad for the people who might've died."

Yuxuan still stayed silent, but after quite a long while, he replied, "It is for population control. Everything happens for a reason. As bad as I feel for them, none of us can do anything. It is God's decision."

"God's decision is to kill people? Tsk. Is God that bad?"

Yuxuan sighed, and explained more. "Come to think of it. Do you think it would be okay if every single person on Earth survived ? Do you think so many people around the Earth would be able to live ? They would die from the crowd. They all would eventually not be able to walk around because of how crowded Earth would get. Do you get my point or not?"

Wang Lei went quiet again. He thought and thought, but decided this was something he could not argue about. "You're right. It would be a serious disaster if every single person on Earth survived. But they could atleast die a peaceful death, right ?" Hearing this, Yuxuan laughed slightly, and Wang Lei's expression turned into that of confusion.

He explained again,
"Do you think people would learn any lessons from that? Also, it is not upto God to decide who lives and who dies. It is merely a choice of humans. God may have powers, but they must not use them recklessly, or they will rapidly lose their powers. I told you, everything happens for a reason."

"Ah..." Wang Lei couldn't argue anymore. He felt that Yuxuan was most likely saying the right thing. The explanation seemed to be complete and correct in everyway. He looked around for a while and then said, "Let's go now. Which place would you like to introduce me to?" Hearing that, Yuxuan thought and thought. Finally, something came to his mind and he smiled. "We could go to a different dimension."

"A different dimension ?"