II

Dylan's POV
On January 1st, 2015, my younger sister Mikaela was pronounced dead.

She died on impact of the crash, and Steven was left in critical condition.

I didn't want to be the one to break the news to Crystal, so I didn't tell her. In the cab on our way home, we drove by the accident site. Crystal looked at me with wide eyes, and I nodded, not having enough confidence to talk. I just swallowed the lump in my throat and prayed that Mikaela was okay.

But of course she wasn't, I didn't know it just by driving by the scene, but my sister was dead.

What was I suppose to tell mom and dad? How was I suppose to tell them that I failed at my job at protecting my little sister? How was I suppose to tell my dad that his little princess is dead? Or how was I suppose to live with the burden?

When the cab pulled up to my house, my phone rang, and my heart dropped. I knew if I answered the phone call, that my mom would be crying on the other line. As soon as I got out of the cab, I answered the call, taking a deep breath.

"Hello?" I mumbled, trying to control the shaking of my hands.

"H-honey, it's Mikaela," my dad said, "there has been an accident. Please come to the hospital." And right then, was when my life changed. Everything changed.

"Is she okay?" Crystal barely whispered. I pulled her into a tight hug, resting my chin on the top of her head, and I began to cry.

*

I brought Crystal to the hospital with me. Although I had been drinking earlier, I was sobered up, so I took the car to the hospital.

Crystal sat quiet in her seat the whole time in the car, emotionless. I glanced at her, "She's gonna be okay, everything's gonna be okay." I said, actually unsure of my own words. She just nodded, looking straight.

But I was wrong.

When we walked in the hospital, my parents approached us. As soon as I saw my mom, I knew it. I knew Mikaela was gone, and it was all my fault.

"So, Mikaela has been in an accident." My dad mumbled, looking down while I swallowed a lump in my throat. "She died on impact." He barely mumbled, before breaking down, hugging my mom while tears streamed down her cheeks.

Crystal lost it. She quietly sobbed, before walking back outside, shutting herself out from everyone.

I didn't know what to do. I just stood there in shock. I couldn't cry, I was numb.

"How is Steven?" I said emotionless.

"He's in critical condition." My dad said, wiping his eyes. I nodded, giving my parents a hug, walking back outside to find Crystal.

I quickly found her, sitting on a bench with my elbows on her knees and her face in her hands, her shoulders shaking while she cried. God I would do anything to take her pain away. I walked over to the bench, and quietly sat down next to her. She glanced at me before leaning onto me.

"Dyl.." She whispered, "how could this happen? How is this real life?" I just shook my head, unable to even think. She looked at me. "It's okay to let your emotions out Dylan, your little sister-"

"I know Crystal. I know." I snapped, running a hand through my hair. She just sat there quietly.

And we sat there for what seemed like an eternity.

*

News broke about Mikaela's death the morning after it all happened.

I stayed home all day while my parents were out, doing something for the funeral I think. I can't go to her funeral, it'll all be too much. I've already decided that I wasn't going to go.