06. Scars Run Deep

| Juliana Rodriguez |

Sitting down on the roof, away from the windows and behind a tree, the view was still captivating from our hidden spot. My breath was caught in my throat, as I took in all the lights that were flashing around us and all the colors. I had no idea what all of this was, but it was truly beautiful. 

Clearly I wasn't the only one that was entranced by it all, as this boy that had brought me out here, Rowan, was also as quiet as I was. He hadn't made me say anything, but most of all, he hadn't made a move anywhere near me. He had helped me out here, on my shaky legs, and his smirk had disappeared when he had seen just how scared of him I was. 

For once, I didn't feel forced to stay here, with this boy, but there was definietly something keeping me grounded, here with him. It was peaceful, just between the two of us. Nothing was here to disturb us or change the air around us. I didn't feel the need to run from anyone or anything, as I sat here. My mind had stopped overthinking every little situation that could possibly be happening without me. 

"You know, I'm scared of people too" the words caught me off guard, and I immediately cradled my arms around my body, in hopes of bringing the warmth back around me. The warmth that had somehow settled between the two of us, had now been disturbed. I wasn't scared, more just a bit fearful of what could happen if I said something else. 

I waited, even had the time to turn and look at the boy, but his eyes were still trained on the colors in the sky, which were covering his face. He looked like a little boy here, not the older boy that I had met earlier today. He most definietly was not ridged like he was this morning, brining more of his boyish looks out. 

When my eyes had first found him this morning, he had looked much older than the rest of them. With the leather jacket and the gelled hair, he had stood out to me for some reason. He wasn't like the others, or at least whenever he looked at me, it felt that way. He felt different, almost like he had grown up years ago, and now he was just coming back to be with people his own age for a little bit. 

It was like he was paused in time. "What do you mean?" I murmured, when I realized he wasn't going to say anything more. I didn't want to say anything about agreeing, as I was scared of almost everyone around me. This was all new to me. I didn't want to say something and ruin the chance that I could possibly have at a new life. A life away from cowering in corners and afraid of my own shadow. 

I wanted this to be a new chance for Annalise and I. I would do anything to make sure that Annalise gets the best chance that she can. "I'm scared of people, just like you are" I was getting a little scared at the words that kept coming out of his mouth. I pulled the jumper closer to my body, then pulled my arms tighter. I didn't like this very much anymore. 

I studied Rowan again, noticing just how well his name suited him. He looked strong, stronger than the rest of the boys I had seen. I had seen at lunch, how most people stepped out of his way. He had parted the crowd like a sea. He wasn't like the rest of them. He was definitely on the taller side, much taller than most people.