one

one
———————————-

         The road was slick like someone had doused it in oil right before the little red car Finny's father had given him drove across it. Rain pounded down onto the car, clicking and clacking as Finny and Sylvie argued. I knew what they were arguing about.
         I can't help but feel a little guilty about the whole situation as it wouldn't have been this way had I just admitted my feelings to Finn sooner. I knew how Finn felt about driving in the rain. How he felt about people being in his car without a seatbelt on.
        So did Sylvie. Yet, she insisted on getting out of the car knowing how kind-hearted Finn is. I can practically hear the scream Sylvie might've let out upon being thrown from the car. I can hear her faint heartbeat as she lay unconscious on the ground, waiting for help. But it didn't come in time.
       Vividly, I remember The Mothers rushing up the stairs to Finny's room where I had been sleeping at the time of the crash. I hadn't really felt any type of overwhelming fear until the moment they said Finn's little red car was found on the side of the road with a huge hole in the wind shield and no sign of Finny.
       My feet carried me down the stairs, out the front door of Aunt Claire's, and into one of The Mothers car. Which one I don't know or care. It felt like time stood still as my leg bounced up and down as we drove to the scene.
        Upon arriving, a body in a dark, black bag was being rolled on a stretcher towards an ambulance where the flashing blue and red lights were absent.
         Please, don't be Finny.
         Please, don't be Fin-
         "Autumn?"