⁶ my favourite song

"Someone turn up the radio, please?" I requested. Our tent had finished digging for the day and we were one of two groups in the Wreck Room. Luckily, Lump wasn't there to hog the radio.

It'd been a bit over a week since I got to camp and I was settled in really well. I got along with everyone in my tent, though Squid was weird. One minute we would be fine and he'd do little things like carry my shovel back to camp or fill my canteen for me.

Other times he would snatch my books or letters. And he had a tendency to stare daggers at Magnet whenever I was talking to him. Magnet was my best friend at camp, he reminded me of my older cousin. X-ray and Armpit were okay, I think they were still getting used to me.

When Zigzag wasn't digging or watching TV, he was reading the TV guide. I don't know how he didn't need glasses, he sat so close to the TV.

"Have you seen Gilmore Girls?" I asked him one day. He looked at me, wide eyed as always.
"Of course I have," he replied. "What team are you..?" I wondered skeptically. "Dean or Jess?"
"Dean." He answered after a moment and I sighed. "Ugh, I'm team Jess."

"Next up, we've got a track that was popular last year in the UK. It's a cover of a great 'Bone Thugs-N-Harmony' song. Blazin' Squad, with 'Crossroads'." the radio presenter announced and I gasped.

"What?" X-ray asked from beside me on the couch, giving me a look of confusion. I had the biggest smile on my face as I turned to him. "This is my favourite song."

I looked back at my book and read, quietly singing along. I'd almost finished reading the Stephen King book I found.

"So why you gotta go and pray you're gonna make it some day.. You got a job so why'd you wanna raise.." I rapped along with Flava.

"This is your favourite song?" Squid raised an eyebrow at me. "Yeah, it's mine and my mum's favourite."

"Why?" He asked. "I dunno, I just like it, I guess. I like the group that sings it too."

"What is it? Blazin' Squad? Man I never even heard of them before." X-ray chimed in. "They're massive in England." I shrugged, going back to my book.

"Life's up life's down. Innocent or guilty you will soon be found." Reepa's voice crackled from the old radio. "Naw, no way you listen to this shit, Ladybird." Armpit shook his head from the armchair diagonal from me.

"What, why? I like it." He shook his head again, "Man, what other music chu listen to? You can't only listen to this crap."

Urm.. what do I listen to..? "Uhh.. I like Metallica.. and um, 2pac and Biggie. Fiona Apple, Eminem.. Oh and Oasis."

"You listen to Biggie?" He asked in disbelief. "What? You got a problem with that too?" I scoffed.

"No.. You just don't seem like you listen to that kinda music. You look like you listen to the Backstreet Boys or NSYNC." He said, making everyone chuckle.

"Ew, no way would I listen to NSYNC. I'm a Backstreet Boys girl. Oh and the Spice Girls, I love them." I gushed.

"The ginger one's a babe." Zigzag stated, his eyes not moving from the TV. A couple of the guys agreed but then a few others thought that Baby or Scary Spice was hotter. Personally, I think Posh Spice is the hottest. David Beckham's lucky.