¹⁷ birthday

"hey, where does this go?" Stanley asked. I was cleaning up the tent after dinner befire everyone came back and messed it up again, with the help of the new kid. "oh erm, just under his bed for now." i shrugged. "so, Yelnats. how're you finding camp so far?"

"well, it's uh certainly an experience." he frowned making me chuckle. "but it's not too bad, I'm glad I'm making some friends here though."

I nodded, "yeah, i get that. it's so scary at first." a silence fell over us as we carried on cleaning, the only noise was people play basketball outside and my quiet humming.

"yo, Ladybird! Stan! come play basketball with us." X-ray called from outside the tent. "you wanna play?" I asked the boy and he nodded. the heat burned into my head and arms as we were put in teams.

it was me, Magnet, Dinger from b tent, X-ray and Ziggy on one team and Zero, Squid, Stanley, Armpit and Pincushion from a tent on the other.

it was relatively fair, despite Armpit's protests when our team won three games in a row. "come on," he whined. "that ain't fair, we had Stanley and Zero."

"so? my team had me and Dinger!" i shot back. "exactly. our team was worse!" he threw his head back. "Dinger has a broken foot, man!" X-ray launched a basketball at the larger boys head.

"nahnahnah, i don't think it's fair." he carried on. "man, shut up," Squid interrupted. "they won fair and square. you're just pissed you got beat by a girl."

over the next three days that passed everything settled down again now the excitement of a new kid died down. Squid and I were as close as ever.

he gave me tiny kisses on the cheek or forehead whenever he walked past and no one was looking, and tied my shoelaces every morning and carried my shovel to and from camp.

I think Magnet was slowly starting to catch on but he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, so I wasn't totally worried.

Taylor did end up getting her diary back and along with that Yoda let all of Tarantula's spiders out into a hole. she hadn't bothered us since though we were still slightly on edge.

I began to feel bad for Stanley, though. the guys were constantly teasing him and I couldn't do anything to help even when I tried.

"happy birthday!" a group of people yelled. i shot up and nearly fell off of my cot. "what?" i rubbed my eyes to see my tent mates, Blondie and surprisingly Dr Pendanski stood at the end of my bed.

"thank you?" i grumbled, a smile creeping onto my tired face. "now, y/n. because it is your birthday does not mean you don't have to dig. you do, but today you can start an hour later." yes, i can go back to sleep.

"this is from your mother," he passed me a somewhat large cardboard box with drawings over it. he looked quite nervous. mum must've written him a 'strongly worded' letter.

"happy birthday, lady!" Blondie jumped onto my bed and pulled me into a hug. Magnet took my box and placed it on the floor and hugged me as well, and it turned into a big group hug.

after a couple minutes Mom told everyone to let me get ready for the day and after everyone left Squid pulled me into him. "happy birthday Birdie." he whispered, lifting my chin. "than-" i began but he cut me off by pressing his lips to mine.