Chapter 5

The body of the detention teacher was slumped against the wall. Every second, the body would slide a centimeter down the wall. The kids stared at the body, gaping at how dead Ms. Whitlockke was.

The kids stared for what felt like an eternity- a full minute. Emi whimpered, "What is that?"

There was a silver dagger in her stomach that had been covered before. A dark forest green glinted on the tip. As the kids took in the sight, there was a banging sound down the hall.

Someone was walking-"Oh, shit," Hayden thought-someone was humming, someone was shooting.

A gunshot shot through the hallway.

The shooter was yelling something, something about some kids.

"He doesn't know where we are. Whew," imagined Hayden.

Charlotte and Connor barricaded the door, hands trembling. The sound of footsteps got closer and closer, the humming, closer and closer.

Emi picked the lock to the door on the other side of the room. She signaled for the students to follow her as she slid through the doorway.

Once they were out, Emi whispered, "In this situation, you talk, you die. You get seen; we all die. No talking or whimpering, Connor-okay?"

Charlotte led the others through the hidden passage that she and Emi had walked through just yesterday.

Behind them, eyes glinted in the dim lights.

"Asshole," Connor muttered.

Everyone looked behind them to see a tall, slim man with piercing eyes and a murderous grin.

He ran down the hallway; the kids stood frozen between the doors. The stairway they were running through locked automatically-"The doors!" Pointed Connor-they could trick the killer.

Hayden led the way, running behind a column, hoping they wouldn't be seen.

The killer ran into the stairway and locked himself in. He banged on the window, shouting, "Stupid ass kids!"

"He's going to be back down here in a few minutes," Charlotte added.

"What do we do now?"