Chapter 7

Warning: There is mention of alcoholism

"Okay," Connor said. "If we want to get out, preferably alive and not maimed, then we have to make a plan. We need to get to the lunchroom without being seen by any minions. But I don't know how to get there without passing the rotunda."

"I do," Hayden said.

"Wow, 'mister in love with my best friend' actually has a brain and can use it. And he can say one thing without mumbling or trembling." Emi thought.

"We'll have to go up the high school stairs, which we can access near the orchestra and band rooms. But we'll have to sneak over there since there's an exit and probably a guard. Up there, we'll run to the staircase above the cafeteria and take the stairs into the cafeteria. It is pwetty hard, though." *Shudders*

"I take the second thing back," Emi replied in her head.

"Stupid boy," Emi muttered under her breath.

Charlotte was so close to taking Emi's stolen guitar and smashing it over her best friend's head. She was getting on her nerves, never trusting her decisions, always doubting if Charlotte truly liked her, and resenting her for being the 'straightest, straight A's-est, prettiest, most popular girl in the school.' She wasn't responsible for any of that.

Connor, too, was getting annoyed with Emi. He still resented her for what happened 7 years ago.

It was a typical mid-September day. Emi and Connor had been best friends, and Charlotte and Emi would have met the following year.

-It was around 12 o'clock, and it was social studies. Emi was 10 years old and already had a phone.

Emi ran up to Connor, crying. "My mom, she's in the hospital. I, I, I don't know why. But she's not going to be home for like a month."

Emi looked so sad and broken and confused."

Now, Connor had tears in his eyes, and Margot Brooke was the kindest woman on the planet. " E, what can I do? H-how can I help?"

"I don't know. I don't think you can." Emi felt hopeless, and so did Connor.

All day, Emi was either crying or sulking and refusing to do her schoolwork. Connor hated seeing his best friend like this and felt hopeless.

Connor talked to his parents later that day about what Emi had told him. His mom, Charlie Bryan, confided in him that Emilyne's parents were having marriage troubles and Emi's father wouldn't take care of her. She was what Connor's mom called an alcoholic, and she was having medical problems. Margot Brooke was being sent to a place called rehab, which Connor assumed was where she would get brainwashed into being better.

After Mr. Brooke, Mrs., and Mr. Bryan set something up, Connor told Emi. "E! I have good news! We're going to have a month-long sleepover at my house! You get to stay with my family until your mom gets better!"

"Cool. Wait. She's going to get better soon? Whew." Emi was so relieved; she was going to get better.

After a month, Connor and Emi grew inseparable. Connor told Emi everything, and Emi told Connor her biggest secret: That she was a lesbian.

Connor was so mad he had a crush on her. He thought she liked him back, but of course, she didn't. Connor was about to burst. And he did when Emi told him about her crush on this girl in their science class.

Connor blew up and yelled at Emi, "I hate you! I had a fricking crush on you, and you're gay? I don't want to talk to you anymore; You broke my heart! And also, your mom is an alcoholic! She is never going to get better! Asshole!"