Chapter Four: Command Castle

There was almost nowhere for Natalie to look in the V-rail car that wouldn't involve making awkward eye contact with a UEF soldier. As they flew down a lightless tunnel, Natalie read the ticker-thin electronic advertisements above the windows. Aside from the one that listed green and red stock prices, many were amusing. One promoted interplanetary insurance: "Enjoy your world anywhere you want! Call ELEMWIDE for a free quote TODAY." Another was for a research study: "Are you between the ages of eighteen and sixty-five and trying to QUIT smoking space-dust? You may be eligible for a research study at Bruns University. Participants paid up to fifty dollars hourly."

The V-rail bulleted onto a bridge, and Natalie stared out at the pinnacles and spires of skyscrapers. Below her, a labyrinth of roads, bicycle paths, and scooter lanes interweaved from one end of Command Castle to the other. Fleetships floated by on the distant horizon. Everything was clean and orderly.

Then, in the most startling way, a burst of human emotion rattled the V-rail car. A UEF soldier standing by Barbara collapsed to the floor in tears.

"I'm so, so sorry! I-I couldn't k-keep it in any longer!" he mumbled in between sobs. "I just had to say thank you, Your Highness!"

"HOW DARE YOU, PRIVATE!" barked Lieutenant Gatton, grabbing the soldier by his collar.

"Hold on," Barbara interceded, resting her flowing hand on the lieutenant's grip. He backed off, but kept his volcanic stare locked on the soldier.

Barbara took the boy's hand. "Why are you crying?"

The soldier wiped his face. He appeared to be Natalie's age. "You probably d-don't remember," he said, "but you saved me and my whole family, at the Battle of Constitute."

The mention of Constitute immediately caught Natalie, Adam, and Barbara's attention.

"I did? Remind me. What did I do?" Barbara kindly asked.

"We were farmers. We were put on the evacuation ships when the Armada came. They set our ship's engine on fire and nearly blew us to bits, but you came and put it out. I'm alive because of you."

Barbara got out of her seat and hugged the soldier. "I'm glad you're here with us," she told him in his ear. "What's your name?"

"Gorbell. Arthur Gorbell, your highness."

"You're doing an incredible job, Private Gorbell," Barbara commended him.

Private Gorbell smiled and resumed his post. Lieutenant Gatton was on the brink of exploding, when a second, much older soldier with a mustache suddenly saluted Adam.

"Sergeant James Dallan," he introduced with a straight face. "You saved my life too, sir."

Lieutenant Gatton appeared absolutely infuriated, but one look from Adam kept him at bay.

"Thank you for telling me," Adam replied, saluting him back. "What did I do?"

"It was also at the Battle of Constitute, sir. My platoon was captured on board the UEFS Gallantry by the Mandata. You rescued us from execution."

Adam shook the sergeant's hand, causing the widest smile to grow beneath James' mustache. "Pleasure to meet you, Sergeant Dallan."

At that moment, a wave of soldiers approached Adam and Barbara. Almost all had stories stemming from the Battle of Constitute. Some of the soldiers kept their composure like Sergeant Dallan, but most fell onto their knees like Private Gorbell. Lieutenant Gatton's ire subsided as his troops finally addressed years of unexpressed gratitude. One Private Solomon Croft delicately sang a song his village on Tovskye had composed for the Astronites: