Mask On, Mask Off - Part 4

She was at The Louvre. She would go to an event at The Louvre. Ines looked at the impressive glass pyramid outside of the museum with Vincent next to her. The car had just dropped them off and she wasn't prepared for the event being at the world's most famous art museum. Christ, the Mona Lisa was hanging there!
She looked around with big eyes while Vincent showed their invitation for the guard. There were rich, well dressed people everywhere. The men in formal wear and the women in sleek dresses, showing off stereotypical Parisian curves, in other words, not many curves at all. Even if Ines was dressed up she felt like a stain on white silk. All the women looked perfect in high heels and smooth hair but it was also one more detail that stood out. All of them wore masks, extravagant masks fitting for a masquerade party in the 1800th century.
She had known she wouldn't fit in but had believed she would feel more okay with it but now didn't feel as sure. Without saying anything the Marquis took her hand and pulled her into a corner, hidden by a pillar. Ines looked at him curiously while he stretched out his hand. In it was a red mask, decorated with rhinestones in a similar color.
"I thought you would have a red dress," he said, not as an excuse, more as it was just annoying facts. Ines looked at the mask.
"Will everyone have these sort of masks? Is it a orgy party or something?" She asked while putting the mask against her face. Vincent didn't say anything, just put on his own extravagant mask in black but with peacock feathers and gold glitter.
"Why is your mask so much prettier than mine?" Whined Ines and looked at her own mask again.
"Because I let a designer do it. I didn't have time to get one for you. I didn't know I would have a date for the night."
Ines looked up at him from her mask, meeting his green eyes surrounded by the colorful feathers.
"Date?" Said Ines as a reflex.
"Yes. They call a guest a date in the invitation so you're my date."
The Marquis didn't give away any emotions so Ines accepted his answer.
"Should I help you with that one?" He nodded towards her mask and Ines took up it towards her face again. Vincent walked around her to tie it around her head, making a perfect bow with the red ribbon but it wasn't anything Ines noticed, how he put energy to make it completely symmetrical.

"When we are inside I will let you mingle," said Vincent bluntly and fixed his cufflinks.
"Okay," said Ines with a nod, she knew how to mingle.
"And I will be... around," continued Vincent. Ines looked up at him with furrowed brows.
"Around? You mean we will not go together?"
"I promise you, having a tall, handsome, well dressed man like me by your side will not make rich men talk to you. It's better if you mingle alone, tell them about your painting... Maybe you can flirt a little?" He said the last part carefully, like he had encouraged her to prostitution. Ines smirked and looked down on her feet. It was noticeable he hadn't understood how her Friday nights used to look. She was an expert at flirting, how else would you get free stuff?
"Okay. That's fine. But can I call if there is something?"
Vincent looked down at her again and as a symbolic gesture he opened his jacket, showing off his phone in the inner pocket, but also a gun sticking up from the waistband of his suit pants.
"I will answer."

×××

It came natural for Ines to mingle around with people and even if she was nervous at first, walking around among all the rich fine people she relaxed quickly. Behind the mask she could be someone else and instead feeling like the stupid American girl, she felt exotic and sexy. There were many curious eyes on her.

She told people about her painting, flirted and received business cards. She felt pleased with herself when she called Vincent. She hadn't seen him all night but if she was honest, when she was her flirty self he would just be in the way.

"Already done? Someone interested?" He said calmly. Ines stood in a corner outside the ladies restroom talking with The Marquis on the phone. She was a little tipsy on champagne and leaned against the wall. She couldn't understand how these rich people could drink so much without seeming affected.
"I have twelve business cards..." she said, pleased. Vincent cleared his throat.
"Mhm."
"What? Isn't that good?" Ines said disappointed.
"No it's good..." The Marquis sounded weirdly detached and Ines felt the nerves come up again.
"Can we meet where the car dropped us off?" He asked.
"So we should leave now? I really thought it would be an orgy," she joked but didn't get a reaction from Vincent.
"Just meet me, now."