Familiarity

After about a week of research and talking to only Gwen and Artie, Emerson knew that she had to talk to someone else. Though the person that Artie wanted her to see, she didn't quite know if she was ready to see. It was annoying her that it all seemed to be either hitting a dead end or circling back to the one thing she didn't want it to be about. She started going through her notes again trying to distract herself, only to find a note addressed to her.

Em,

I don't know what you are hiding or running from but you can always come to me about anything. I've come to care for you and don't want to see you hurting.

-Declan

She sighs and puts the note in her pocket and packs a small bag, leaving it at the end of her bed, when Artie comes in.

"Are you finally going?"

"I've been thinking about it," She sighs, showing him the note.

"Are we going to have this fight again or are you going to go this time."

"It would be the third one this week." She smirks.

"Em even if he doesn't help with this, I think he will be a good person to have around."

"He's not immortal."

"Do you know that for sure?"

"No," She sighs.

"Just go already."

She nods and picks up her bag, throwing it over her shoulder and heading out. Gwen watches her leave, hoping this would help her friend and what was going on.

Emerson produces her wings just big enough to fly through the woods. It was only to get there quicker. As she came across the town she was staying in about two weeks ago, she lands and hides her wings before taking a deep breath and walking into the town. The mayor sees her and scurries over to her, looking extremely worried.

"Emerson! Thank god!"

"What's up mayor?"

"Kids disappearing and Declan won't come out of his house, we can't get to him, only send him notes."

"What do you mean you can't get to him?" she wonders looking up and realizing his ladder is still up as the mayor speaks up.

"He came back in tears once you left and took his ladder away. Why did you leave without saying anything."

"I didn't realize how bad the disappearing kids were. My friend asked for my help. I'll go talk to Declan."

"How?"

She smiles softly and produces her wings, flying up to the boy's house and knocking on the door.

"Go away." Declan's voice says.

"No, I need your help."

"And I needed your help but that's over and done with."

"Declan please talk to me."

"No, if you wanted to talk you should have before you left." He growls.

"Don't make me climb in through your window."

"You can't."

She sighs and flies to the window, sitting on the window sill. Declan just stares at her in shock. He takes a deep breath, trying to get his thoughts together. He looks anywhere but her, taking a few deep breaths like he was trying to not yell at her. With one last deep breath, he looks at her again, taking in her pale blue and green wings.