Chapter 1

"Evelyn Carter", I heard my name being called at my prestigious high school's graduation, "Summa Cum Laude". Cheers and whistles erupted as I crossed the large stage to retrieve my diploma. I shook hands with the principal and turned toward the crowd. I turned my tassel, after I flashed a big smile and waved to my peers. I felt excited to finally graduate high school and be one step closer to fulfilling my childhood dream of becoming a lawyer.

Not long after departing from the stage, my best friend, Leo, was called up, "Leonardo Valentino" and the crowd went wild. Leo is a very likeable person, loved by most, and always up for some fun. Leo is a very carefree person, always going with the flow, and never having a single worry. Leo cared less about his academics. Not that it mattered, since Leo is a legacy student, that already had one foot in the door at Princeton before even applying.

I on the other hand, had to work hard to be able to fulfill my dreams. Coming from a blue-collar family, completely opposite of Leo, and my posh classmates, my parents could not afford to pay for my university. The only reason we could even afford my private school, was due to me receiving a partial scholarship that helped pay the tuition.

"Congratulations class of 2024." The whole auditorium erupted in cheers and the graduates tossed their caps through the auditorium. Just as I caught my cap, I saw Leo making his way over to me. His tall physique visible from a distance. "Congratulations, Evelyn."

"Congrats to you too, looks like you actually made it." I nudged him jokingly.

"I am Leonardo Valentino, after all." Leo stated emphasizing his last name, with a big boyish grin on his face, which makes anyone's heart melt away. The Valentino family are big investors in wind farms, and other types of green energy, who operate one of the largest wind energy manufacturing companies in the country.

Leo swung his arm around me as we made our way over to the enthusiastically awaiting parents. On our way, we congratulated our friends and bid our farewells. Simultaneously, we spotted my parents in the distance and waved eagerly to them.

Before heading over, Leo questioned "Will I see you tomorrow evening?" His parents are celebrating his graduation and are having a gathering for close friends, and family, at their Hampton residence.

I chirped, "7 p.m. sharp."

Jacob beamed, "I will text you the address. See you tomorrow." And with that he disappeared into the crowd.

As soon as I reached my parents, they congratulated me excitedly and embraced me in a big hug. "Evelyn, we are so proud of you. Congratulations!" My parents were ecstatic. After a few more hugs and kisses we were on our way to my favorite restaurant to celebrate my achievement. This was our last family dinner together before moving to the city, so I really wanted to make the most of it.

My favorite part about this restaurant, apart from the delicious food, was the esthetics. It has the cutest outdoor seating area, with string lights, little fire pits, and comfortable seating. I felt content, plopping a piece of cheese from my charcuterie board into my mouth.

My mom gave me a heartfelt smile and squeezed my hand on the table, "Your dad and I are so proud, Evelyn. We know how hard you worked and that it was not easy to get a full ride to NYU."

"Thank you, mom. I could have not done it with both of your support."

"We will always support you; don't you ever forget that." My dad chimed in. I grinned at both, grateful to have two loving parents that loved and supported me. I wasn't concerned one bit that I could not get the financial support that other parents might provide. The support they gave me, no money in the world could buy.

"Thank you, I love you both." I took a sip of my peach tea. "Oh, and I finally decided on my major. History it is." I had been undecisive for a little while since I always had my focus on law school.

"That awesome, it will serve you well in law school" my dad said approvingly.

"Thanks Dad. I am looking forward to it."

"Have you heard back form the internships you have applied to?" my mom asked curiously.

"No, I am still waiting." I was anxious, hoping to hear back soon, needing the income to pay my living expenses.

"I am sure you will soon, sweety."

I nodded, "I hope so."

The evening flew by, and I could not help but feel a little sad to leave tomorrow. At the same time, I also felt excited for the freedom of adulthood. I was thrilled to have my own place and to be able to go where I want, when I want, without needing to ask for permission. I was looking forward to meeting new people, and to start building a life of my own.