Outer Olympus: Chapter 6

There was a difference of about twenty-six pounds between Enforcer patrol armour for law enforcement and Enforcer combat gear. With the additional plating, grenade mounts and combat knives, it was a hassle to don- well trained field soldiers could armour up in under four minutes, but the Enforcers at Outpost Raven were not the Hegemony's finest. As the six of them geared up, eager for the fight, Kase frowned.

"Something's wrong about this," he said. Shadell shot him a confused look.

"Kase, you've been thinking something is wrong all day," he replied. "And you were right! Those VISOR currs were rebels. You were suspicious and we weren't and you were right, so stop complaining. You won, so get your carbine loaded."

"It doesn't add up. Something felt off before the VISOR agents arrived. And if they were rebel assassins, why would they leave us a hostage?"

"You're being paranoid. Those guys were clearly up to something." Shadell shot back, plunging a power cell into his rifle, which whirred to life with a hum.

"Yeah, because they were VISOR agents. Them being awful doesn't make me doubt they were legit." Kase picked up his pistol, thinking.

"Come on, Kase. Are you really going to skip this one out and let us have all the glory?" Shaddel said, completely expecting to win Kase over.

"Yeah. I think so. I need to check on something." He loaded the pistol and stepped out the door. "Good hunting."

The journey into the holding area had not been terribly interesting. Taroh had declared triumph. As he placed the magnet, there had been a click as the doors securing deadbolts had retracted- and then the kids had to slowly drag the door open, as flipping the deadbolts this way didn't trigger the mechanism to slide the door open: it only removed the resistance to its opening. Viola complained about the effort even as Geode did the majority of the work, and then, to reward them for their efforts, they now had to open the cell door, which meant Taroh had to do the whole process over again. While he promised it'd be quicker this time, Geode had used the time to grab some supplies that the escape plan would need from the vent. Viola's heart sunk as she saw the bag.

"Couldn't we take a bit more?" She complained. Geode shot her a look.

"Weight's too big an issue. You understand that," they replied. Viola sighed. She knew, she had just let herself believe they might get out of here with some of their original haul.

"Got it!" Taroh exclaimed, as the lock clicked. "Okay, help me get this open." He grabbed the door, beginning to inch it open, then froze at the sound of a footstep and the clicking hum of an arming blaster pistol.

"I shouldn't be surprised to see the three of you here," Kase said, smiling to himself as he gestured with the pistol for the kids to step away from the door.

"Good to see you, Kase," Viola said with a charming smile. "It's about time you showed up." Her improvised attempt to make it seem like this was all part of the plan was delivered perfectly but soundly undercut by the clear fear on Taroh and Geode's faces, who were rather unhappy to be held at gunpoint.

"I have to admit I'm impressed, Miss Venice," Kase said, luxuriating in his moment of victory. "I assume it's your work that has all my comrades running on a wild goose chase?"

"I was quite proud of that one, yeah," Viola agreed. Kase laughed.

"Well, they can take their turn being the laughing stock for being outsmarted by some kids." The thought of finally being able to get them back for all their taunting warmed his wretched heart.