Prologue

Karsyn

The butterfly effect.

It was the main topic that was going to keep me up tonight.

I sighed, resting my arm on my forehead. The moonlight the only thing allowing me to discern anything across my room.

Had I done something differently in my past, anything, maybe it'd have led me to her faster. Sooner. First.

If I never met my best friend, maybe I'd never have this dilemma.

The fact that I pondered that thought even for a fraction of a millisecond made me abhor myself. I'd never trade our fifteen year old friendship for anything.

Not even for a girl? A voice in the back of my mind whispered.

That was the problem. She wasn't just a girl.

Her light blue eyes didn't just flash through my mind, but a memory of them persisted blinking up at me. Her bright smile made my chest expand.

There was something about her aura that pulled me. Something that I couldn't describe, but could feel when she was near.

I rubbed at my face, my chest hollowing with frustration. Everything was so complicated.

I wanted her to be in my life, and never leave. She undoubtedly would be.

After all, she was dating my best friend.

I turned to my left. Red hair sprawled on the pillow. Her slim pale shoulder rose and fell in a slow rhythm.

Pain encased my heart, knowing I was thinking about another woman while I lay beside Lovelyn.

I didn't know what to do with myself, not knowing if I feel worse holding her or keeping my distance.

Holding her close would comfort Lovelyn's heart, but torment hers. Keeping to myself would feel wrong for Lovelyn, but right for her.

But no matter what I did, my heart would hurt.

What made matters worse was she was in the same position I was, being with someone else.

Four hearts were on the line.

Two pleased. Two unhappy.

Two were upholding. Two were breaking.

But no matter what I chose, no matter what she chose, no matter what we chose...

Two hearts would undeniably break.