The Last Straw

Keep moving, don't settle down, and don't trust anyone. This is the one rule to live by when you can't die. Persephone learned this from another immortal who made the rules after years of being studied and tortured. They didn't want her to go through what they did.

Teaching her how long they could stay in one place before people became suspicious of why they never got injured. Which to be safe was no longer than a month but only that long if it was absolutely necessary. Keep track of the towns and avoid going to the same place in the same decade. Find safe houses made by other immortals marked by a secret code. They taught Persephone the code after confirming she was truly immortal. She never knew their name or what happened to them after the war broke out. Persephone woke up to find them missing and haven't found them since.

Persephone learned she couldn't die when the plague swept through her village. She was the only survivor. She had to watch her family and friends wither away till they were nothing but dust. The disease caused people to turn to stone. It was a slow and painful process for the people it infected. The lucky ones had a vital organ turn first which killed them quickly. The others died within a week of catching it.

At first, her village wasn't suspicious of her due to the infections being so spread out. Till her family caught it and died. The elders decided to throw her in the dried-up well because they thought she was the root of the plague brought on by the gods for her "wicked" ways. She lived at the bottom of the well for so long that she thought it was an eternity. That was where they found her.

Over the years Persephone slowly forgot. What her mother sounded like. What the taste of the holy nectar used in the village ceremonies is. What her father looked like before the plague took the life from his eyes. How the world looked like before the inventions and the smog filled the air. But what took away her faith was when the humans made the plague that killed her family into a weapon against the macabre. Blaming them for all the problems humans have in the world. Humans discovered the Reaper Infestation, the name given to the plague, was the only thing that could kill any macabre but it would also kill the humans if they were hit with it too.

This became her final straw. Persephone decided to show the world her rage before everyone was dead.