Chapter Thirty: I Will Always Love You

Tori Vega

Thank God we have musical geniuses here at Hollywood Arts or else they might have trouble picking up the new material I just gave them, only two hours before we were going on stage. Cat was confused when I came to her doorstep at 2am yesterday, twenty-four hours before we were set to go on. However, I told her it was imperative that we change the song, so she agreed immediately. She took my in her arms, kissed me on the head, and walked over to her piano.

Her parents were out tonight, attending some sort of meeting with their attorney about Cat's brother. I didn't question it. Cat's brother was at home, but he was such a heavy sleeper that we never woke him up despite our incredibly loud singing and piano playing.

I had heard on the Slap that Jade had broken up with Beck. That was all I needed to know. That was it. For some reason that was the exact moment where I truly let go of Jade. I don't know why, I really don't understand it, but as soon as I read it I ran downstairs to our grand piano and started composing. I rarely compose; I come up with lyrics and let other people handle the tune, but this time I had to complete the tune. This was my way of getting over Jade, once and for all. I had to do it all by myself. In a matter of hours I had a created a new song that I was ready to introduce to the world.

At Cat's house she understood the song was about Jade as soon as she heard it. She didn't comment. She didn't say a word about how this whole time I'd been secretly holding onto Jade until now. She just smiled, took my hand in hers, gave me an encouraging smile, and got acquainted to the song.

And from there we told Anthony about our song change. In no time flat we found ourselves on stage, being introduced to the crowd.

I took a deep breath as I prepared for the onslaught of cheers and clapping. "Next up is Victoria Vega and Cat Valentine with their new song, "I Will Always Love You." In only moments the sound of hundreds of kids echoed across the giant parking lot filled with lawn chairs and non-alcoholic beverages.

The brightness of the lights hit my face and I welcomed their spectacular heat. The din of the crowds became silenced and the introduction started. I took a deep breath. Inhale. Exhale. I could do this. A reassuring smile from Cat filled me with confidence. I searched the ground, looking for a comforting face, but by accident found Jade's instead. The girl I was going to sing this song to.

"If I should stay

I would only be in your way

So I'll go but I know

I'll think of you every step of the way"

I watched Jade's face contort with each line. Line some newfound realization had just hut her head on, but perhaps I was just imagining things in vain, hoping that this song wouldn't just be one-sided in emotion. Soon Cat joined in with the chorus.

"And I... will always love you, ooh

I will always love you

You

My darling you

Mmm-mm"

I noticed Jade look back at André. They shared a look I didn't quite recognize. I was a bit distraught Jade wasn't paying full attention to the song I had written for her, even if she didn't know it was for her. Soon she turned her head back, her eyes look straight into mine. Cat took over the next verse.

"Bittersweet memories

That is all I'm taking with me

So good-bye