Ilocano Epic

BIAG NI LAM-ANG
(Summary by Mian Nadine Ocde)

Somewhere in the river of Naguillian, La Union, there was a pregnant lady named Namongan who's group was attacked by another indigenous people, the Igorots. But because of the number that was killed in their side, Namongan's husband, Don Juan got so mad that he left their rural area to take revenge to the Igorots.

Just as Namongan was about to get birth, Don Juan never came back. Humor said that his head was cut off, and it was later proved by his son named Lam Ang. Lam ang named himself just after Namonga gave birth. When Lam Ang found out what happened to his father, he was furious.

At his 9th month, he was already prepared to take revenge for his father. He insisted when his mother didn't let him.

With his group, Lam Ang carried with him his so called talisman made by a part of banana tree. Him and his group travelled until they reached the Igorot's area. He himself saw his dead father between kawayan logs.

The igorots gave him a deal, that if he leave, what happened his father won't happen to him too. But the Igorot's deal just made Lam Ang shout out of madness that made the Igorot's group broaden because of the loudness. Using his axe, Lam Ang fought and took down the Igorots, killing all of them.

With the taste of revenge, Lam Ang took a bath in a river because of the dirt he got from the war.

Just after later, Lam Ang travelled again to find a girl he want to court, and that's Ines Kannoyan. The girl's parent made a deal that if Lam Ang was able to be at their family's richness level, they will accept him. Because of these, two boats filled with golds was served to Ines's family. That act that Lam Ang gave permission to marry Ines.

To follow the Kalanutian's culture, Lam Ang was forced to dive in and was tasked to catch a fish called rarang. Lam ang saw that something bad will happen to him. Without hesitation, he gave instruction to his wife on what will happen to his remains.

Ines followed him. He put Lam Ang's bones together and danced happily around it with the dogs and tandangs. This made Ines happy when the bones suddenly moved and Lam Ang was alive again as if he just finished sleeping. After that, the married couple lived their best journey together.