Chapter 6

On Saturday, Lily was on the football field with the squad when she noticed Charlie in the stands. She immediately did a double take. In all the weeks since school had been in session, she had never seen Charlie at a football game before. Lily remembered she said she would go sometimes, but she figured football wasn't really Charlie's thing. Lily gave her a small wave from the field and felt her chest flutter when Charlie gave a dimpled grin back. Charlie was sitting with two other girls and a guy. None of them seemed particularly interested in the football game as they huddled together laughing, and Lily wondered what made Charlie show that day.

Lily and Charlie continued to talk each day in class and text occasionally, but they hadn't had a chance to talk as intimately as the night at Charlie's apartment. Lily would still think back on the conversation from time to time, remembering Charlie's face as she explained her sexuality and wondering what she would have said if Charlie asked her back.

Lily struggled to focus on her cheers, her eyes occasionally drifting back to Charlie. Each time she looked, Charlie was watching her intently. It was like the adrenaline rush from the first weekend of school all over again, and Lily felt like she was invincible. The game flew by in a heady rush, but Lily wasn't ready for it to stop. It could have gone on forever, and she would have been happy. She liked knowing Charlie was watching her, and she could feel herself wanting to show off. Right as the game ended, and their team won, Lily did a roundoff into a split. As soon as she was done, she caught Charlie smiling the biggest smile before mouthing, "Wow."

"That was amazing today, Lil," Nora told her once the game was over, and they were packing up. "What got into you?"

Lily's cheeks heated. Never the fan of being put on the spot, Lily didn't know what to say. "I don't know to be honest. I just felt really pumped up after today's game."

"Well you better keep it up! Homecoming is next weekend, and I want you to bring your A game!" Nora said before giving Lily a hug and heading home to get ready for the afterparty.

A few hours later, Lily was sitting in her room planning her outfit when her phone buzzed. She assumed it would be Ryder asking about tonight, but she was surprised to see a message from Charlie.

Charlie: "You looked awesome today. Why didn't you tell me you could flip like that?" Lily's heart began to race as she smiled to herself.

Lily: "It's not something I usually tell people. It doesn't really come up in casual conversation, and I try not to brag."

Charlie: "You have every right to brag. How do you know how to do that?"

Lily: "I did gymnastics until I was 13 and then switched over to cheerleading. The skills come in pretty handy."

Charlie: "You are incredible. I could have watched you all day!" That message sent a surge of pride through her.

Lily: "Is that why you came? To watch me and not the game?" She added a winky face, and Lily could feel herself being brave. Apparently, the adrenaline of the day was still coursing through her.

Charlie: "Of course. Did you really think I was there for football? I just wanted to watch this beautiful girl I know," and she included the heart eye emoji.

Lily stared at the last message, blushing. Beautiful. Did Charlie really call her beautiful? She didn't know what was happening. Maybe they were becoming friends? Did Charlie call all her friends beautiful? Lily could tell she was about to spiral, so she needed to stop this train of thought. "Shut it down, Lilian!" She yelled at herself. Great, now she was talking to herself...

She did not shut it down. She dove in further. Lily: "Some beautiful girl? I hope she was able to entertain you. I would hate to think about you wasting your Saturday."