𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

15 - touch it

15 - touch it

IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR SLEEP, you startle awake to baby cries. It took you a second to remember that Megumi was real and not someone you dreamed about. Toji had a child, a child that he had to hide assumingly because of your father. Somehow you felt guilty for your father's actions and didn't know what you could do to help, if anything. This problem was way out of your expertise which was already about slim to none. You knew nothing of babies or how to take care of one, Sure, you helped with the twins when you were little in the "big sister" way parents make sure to do so the older sibling doesn't feel left out. This was different. You didn't want Toji to accuse you of trying to be something you weren't, Megumi's mother. You weren't even truly his step-mother.

Still, that doesn't stop you from getting up to ensure he wasn't crying from something hurting him. You would never forgive yourself for just listening and thinking about your reservations. Slowly you enter the room and cautiously walk up to the crib again. After unexpectedly meeting Megumi the afternoon prior, you left him and Toji alone for the rest of the day, though they both stayed on your mind long after. Your nerves were rising with each step and you sucked in a breath when seeing the baby. His soft cries had slowed and you see his pacifier had fallen out of his mouth.

Gently you pinch it and hold it to his lips, thankful that he automatically opens his mouth to suck on. His cries settle to sniffles. You smile at your small victory and finally relax. Even though he had the pacifier and was content, you couldn't walk away from his crib. All you could do was stare down at him when he stared up at you. There was a night light that helped you see him in the darkness and you couldn't help but reach a hand down and run a finger over his small clenched fist. "Megumi," you whisper.

"Koneko," a voice whispers back. It makes you jump back from your spot and bump into something hard. His arms circle your waist to steady and keep you from falling.

"Toji," you whisper-shout and raise a closed fist to his chest to hit, making him smile. "Don't do that." you try to calm down your racing heart and take a step back but being in his hold doesn't allow that to happen. You force yourself to stay still and not fight it, the possibility of making a loud noise and waking Megumi has you more complacent than you thought.

He doesn't hide his smile as his eyes flicker from Megumi to you. It makes your heart race again and you hoped he hadn't somehow felt it despite being so close and personal. "I'm only checking on my son. I thought you were an intruder," he whispers accusingly though he still smiles at you and you wish you could wipe it away with your hand.

You roll your eyes at his dramatic words. "You knew it was me and wanted to scare me, you would have scared Megumi too." you poke his chest now and curse at yourself for entertaining this conversation, Megumi was ok, it was time to go back to sleep. Yet, Toji's arms prevented that simple task from happening... because he wanted you close?