Dinner Time

The plane's wings spread across the runway, casting a dark shadow on the pavement. The rain had started to fade as the sky darkened. The moon shines through the clouds so that they appear to glow with a dim luminous light. We file into the plane, I find a seat that's near the exit so I don't have to sir with someone on both sides of me. Archie plops down right beside me. "How long is this flight supposed to be?" He asks with a bit of a whine.

I just shrug and hum a response that sounds like, "I don't know."

"You're useless." He teases.

I'm a little tired, so I'm not particularly in the mood for talking. The plane takes off into the dark night sky. Archie is sitting on my left, and the seat on my right is empty. I move to sit across both seats with my back against Archie's side for support. I cross my ankles and my arms, I'm definitely planning on going to sleep. "Getting tired there?" Archie asks in a testing manner.

I don't say anything, though. The mud from my caked boots drips onto the seat that my legs rest on, but it's not a big deal because I don't have to clean it. I do feel a bit bad, though... wait, no, that's their job. I don't feel bad. Archie shoves his bag under his seat and leans back against the chair. He crosses his arms, and his legs are spread a bit to offer more comfort to himself. It seems like he's planning on falling asleep, too. He leans some of his weight against me, and I lean some of my weight on him.
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

I wake up from hitting the floor with a muffled thud. I quickly stand up and look around for a second. I look directly at Archie, who's holding back a laugh. "What was that for?" I ask irritatedly.

"I was waking you up." He shrugs.

"Yeah, well, you didn't have to shove me off of the seat."

"You should know better by now."

I groan a little, "Whatever."

I pick up my bag from the floor along with my sniper rifle and exit the back of the plane. We landed back at base. It's a good thing it's in the same timezone. I hear Archie following me closely behind. "Hey, where are you going?" He asks once he catches up to me.

"I'm going to take a shower once I put my stuff away." I wasn't mad at him anymore.

I don't think I was even mad at him in the first place. I only stay upset for like, 6 seconds. "Oh, that's a good idea." Archie replies.

"Of course you forgot."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Archie asks with a bemused smile.

"You know exactly what it's supposed to mean."

"Oh, come on. I don't smell that bad. Plus, don't you like the naturally asthetic perfume of the forest?" He bats his eyes in a girlishly.

"You were probably crawling through animal shit."

Archie's footsteps falter for a moment, and his smile fades. "Oh, my God. You're right. That's kind of gross."

I laugh at his reaction and walk through the doors of the compound, following after the others. It's much brighter inside than it was outside. "What do you think you're doing!" The lieutenant yells, "I said you all would be doing Daniel's curit once we got back.

A few exasperated groans fill the air along with an "Oh, my God!" and "What the fuck?" We all go back outside and to the obstacle course. It didn't rain back here at base so this should be easier. We all lime up I'm the way we know how 2 lines of 5 people except one has 4 because Daniel's not here. I mentally curse Daniel for winning. "Go on!" The lieutenant yells.