chapter 2

The next morning brought with it an air of expectation and nervousness for Lauren

The next morning brought with it an air of expectation and nervousness for Lauren. Despite her decision to let Matt sleep with her, the familiarity was still broken and a bubble of tension remained in the air.

—Did you died in the bathroom?- Matt asked, knocking on the door for the tenth time.

—You snored all night and I didn't say a word! Let me finish applying sunscreen in peace, Matthew.

—And you have to lock yourself in the bathroom for that?

—Unless you want to see me naked, yes, I do!

—On second thought, that wouldn't be a bad idea.- the brunette smiled mischievously, leaning on the wall next to the door.

—You're disgusting. Get out of here, you make me nauseous!

Matt let out a nasal laugh as he nodded. A few moments later, Lauren had finally emerged from the bathroom, wearing a navy blue bikini and light-wash denim shorts.

—Okay, you can wear them.- the blonde mumbled distractedly, hunting for her slippers under the bed.

Matt sat on the bed for a while, looking down at the girl in front of him. She was... different.

—Are you going to stand there looking at me for long? Come on, you know your brothers aren't very patient.

—It's all your fault if I'm late and don't go, okay?- the brunette grumbled, waking up from his trance and running into the small room.

—That was my goal. Did I mention that your presence annoys me today?

—Hm, I don't think so. Could you say it again, kitten?

—Go quickly! I'll eat all your pancakes if you take another thirty seconds.- Harrison scolded, leaving the room with her bag in her hands.

With the intention of lightening the mood, Lauren decided to go for a walk downtown with Nick, Chris and, unfortunately, Matt. She knew that Nicolas always brought a smile to everyone's face, and she hoped that this would help to dispel any remnants of irritation on his roommate's part.

Soon, all the friends were in the kitchen. The boys were sitting in front of the worktop, finishing their pancakes, while Lauren stood eating a bowl of fruit salad.

—Hey, can we go?- the girl asked, putting her dishes in the sink.

—Sure!- Nick replied, promptly getting up and collecting his brothers' plates, pretending not to hear Chris's protest when he saw half of his pancake being taken away.

Later, as they walked through the busy streets of Carolina Beach, Lauren and Nick enjoyed each other's company, sharing laughs and looking in store windows. The boy's loyalty was a reminder to her of how precious pure relationships were, free from hurt and resentment.