CHAPTER ELEVEN - THE PARTY FOR BROKEN PEOPLE (AND FACES)

There were eighty-seven people at the peak of Dalton's party, about a third of which were Squalicum upperclassmen

There were eighty-seven people at the peak of Dalton's party, about a third of which were Squalicum upperclassmen. The rest presumably came from the other high schools in the county, but Dalton wasn't completely sure. At a certain point, he just stopped caring who showed up. Initially, he was upset that more people than expected came. But within an hour, he and Ryan sold the rest of their OG Kush and Granddaddy Purp. Both made more than two grand together.

Enough alcohol was there for everyone to get blackout drunk. Luke's teammates even brought a keg, which lasted about three hours. Cyrus supplied a sound system his older brother had loaned him. The music worried Dalton more than anything else, but a few hours into the party resulted in no calls to the cops so the unease was short lived.

Around 10pm, Dalton and Ryan started playing beer pong. Forty-five minutes later, they were still playing. A majority of their games were easy wins. The competition was weak even though they were highly competitive with mostly enthusiastic energy. The crowds that played beer pong at high school parties either carried with them cool, smooth confidence or were indistinguishable from rowdy frat boys. The latter was usually the case.

While selling weed, Ryan kept noticing glances from Cindy. None of them were easy to read, but he didn't imagine that they were good either. When it came to playing beer pong, Ryan continued to feel bad that he had gone from devoting much of his attention from selling weed to playing the game. Originally, he and Cindy had planned to go see Bumblebee. Ryan figured missing the movie wasn't what was potentially and primarily bothering Cindy, but he was sure the notion wasn't helping either. Fortunately, Ashley kept his girlfriend company which meant she was at least engaged in something.

But you should really go talk to her now, he thought after winning another game. Just to make sure things are fine.

Instead, Dalton convinced Ryan to play one last game so that their record for the night would be 10-0.

"Fine." Ryan said. "One last game."

"Don't worry, bro." Dalton grinned. "I'm sure we'll sink these guys quickly just like the last nine teams."

Unfortunately, their competitors were skilled this time around. The opponents were two jock football player seniors from Nooksack High School. They carried with them a reputation for being Nooksack's best beer pong players, a fact neither Dalton or Ryan were surprisingly unaware of. In all fairness, it was rare for students from Nooksack to show up at Squalicum parties. The high school was about forty minutes away in the rural areas of Whatcom County.

The whole time the opponents played against Ryan and Dalton, the Squalicum football players would do some distracting act like wave their hands around erratically or show their asses. A few even mockingly chanted, "Nut-sack," the nickname for Nooksack. Despite the Squalicum football team's best efforts, the distractions did little to nothing. At certain points, the opponents had the edge over Dalton and Ryan, making Ryan wonder if the Squalicum football players' crude antics was resulting in karma against him.