CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE - REALITY, THE INESCAPABLE NIGHTMARE

Ryan walked naked through the dark woods of the nightmarish dreamscape he had arrived in

Ryan walked naked through the dark woods of the nightmarish dreamscape he had arrived in. How he got there was not the question on his mind nor was his obvious nudity. Instead, the familiarity with the area made him wonder whether or not he had been here before.

The woods looked nearly identical to the trail Ryan had walked through earlier with Cindy to the boulder. Everything was the same except for the colors and outlines of the space. The woods had a dark tint, almost making everything indistinguishable to the eternal blackness of the surrounding world. The branches, leaves, and other vegetation around Ryan shifted and waved in unusual, squiggly patterns. It was as if Ryan was still hallucinating even though he could recall the mushrooms wore off earlier.

Up in the sky was an endless night devoid of stars. The moon, usually noticeably pale, white bright at this hour, was missing. The gray, foggy air suggested the environment was freezing cold, but Ryan's breath was not visible.

As Ryan ventured deeper into the woods, he came across a trail of blood. The little droplets of red fluid, sticking out like a sore thumb in contrast to the gray atmosphere, led him into a small clearing. Standing in the middle of the expanse, was a nude, seven year old boy curled up and crying. He looked eerily similar to Ryan. They both shared the same colored hair, eyes, and facial details though Ryan's face was noticeably thinner than that of his baby faced counterpart.

Ryan approached the boy. "What's wrong?" He asked.

The boy did not answer. He continued to hold himself as if no else in the world could or would take away his terrible pain.

As Ryan got closer, he noticed the trail of blood led to the ground the child laid under. "Whose blood is that?" Ryan asked.

The boy lifted a small, blood stained finger up...

The Monster smiled with Its slim long lips and crooked blood stained teeth. Though It appeared like the manifestation of every child's worst dream, something about It was different this time. Its body, a bulky, smoky complexion with an exaggerated hunch, was more resemblant of a man. Below Its torso were two husky legs that led upwards to a wide midsection. The plump physique did not hinder the appearance of the nightmarish creation. For some reason, it added a new perverse layer to the Monster; a grotesque celebration of everything and anything visually unpleasant.

Why is it like this now? Ryan wondered. Why does it look like... He stopped his thought before continuing. There was an unnerving familiarity with the Monster, one he was not willing to unravel. He was not completely sure why, but for some reason he could not help, but feel that this demon before him was the embodiment of every bad thing that he'd ever read, seen, or experienced. Every sexual assault, every case of child abuse, every awful, evil thing that had ever happened to a human being was caused by some foul, wicked being. Whatever this Monster was, it was that familiarity: the same foul, wicked thing...