Prologue

High school was exactly how Mauve thought it would be: cute boys, mean girls, cliques, drama... the list goes on and on. But what she dreaded the most was the work.

The class work, the homework, projects, pop quizzes, presentations, tests. She hated it. You probably think it's because it's just so much stress for a kid.

Wrong.

She hates it because no matter how hard she tries on her work it's just never good enough.

Mauve never had the best grades in middle school but they were good enough that she could be proud of them.

However, her grades freshman year were not ones to be proud of. She tried hard, she really did. She studied for tests, took notes in every class, turned her work in on time, there were days where she even skipped lunch to sit in the library and do homework. She was determined to get better grades than last year.

Though, of course: her hard work didn't pay off and she got a letter saying she was being sent to summer school.

To say her mother was pissed is an understatement.

4 weeks before summer break...

Mauve was in her room video chatting with her friends on her laptop when her mother barged in.

"The hell is this?!" Jennifer's face was red with anger as she held a letter up in her hand.

Mauve looked away from her laptop to see the scolding look coming from her mother "Guys, I'll call you back." She didn't give the girls on her screen any time to answer before she quickly left the call slamming her laptop shut quickly.

Jennifer fully entered the room now standing in front of her daughter's bed "What is this, Mauve? Why am I getting letters about you needing to attend summer school?"

The second her mother finished her sentence she felt her stomach drop and her face visibly paled.

Quickly, she got up from her bed and rushed to grab the letter from her mother's hands.

"I- I don't know." Mauves hands start to become shaky and her eyes start to water.

Her mother lets out a frustrated sigh "I thought we agreed you would try harder now that you're in high school." Jennifer's tone was harsh and she was still obviously upset with the news she received in the mail.

Mauve shook her head in denial. There's no way I'm failing she thought. She looked to her mom "I did- I am trying!" Mauves voice started to raise in sadness and frustration already knowing where the conversation with her mother was going.

"Obviously you aren't if you're being sent to summer school."

The yelling brought Mauves father into the situation as he walked into the room. "What's going on here?"

Jennifer snatched the letter out of Mauves hands and shoved it into Richard's. It was silent as he read.

When he was done he looked up at his wife who stood with her arms crossed and his daughter who looked to be in distress with tears in her eyes.

"Mauve hasn't been trying in school like she said she would and now she has to go to summer school." Jennifer was now tapping her foot on the ground impatiently still red but now with annoyance.