Chapter 25

"It's totally your turn."

"No way, Orion. I do it every year."

"That's not true. I did it last year."

"Actually, I distinctly remember Rami doing it last year."

"Right, and as an extension of me, Rami—"

"Wait a moment," Rami interjected. "I'm not an extension of you. I'm my own person."

"Okay, that's a bad choice of phrase, and I'm sorry. As my partner, Rami's turn counts as mine. It's not my fault you don't have someone who can do it for you this year."

"This is cruel and unusual," Sam said, sitting down in front of the Christmas tree, where presents sat wrapped and ready to be opened. "I have the most here, and you're making me hand them out."

"Alright, kids," their dad said, entering the living room. "No more arguing. I'll do it."

Nobody seemed to upset over his choice, and each took spots on different pieces of furniture. One by one, he grabbed boxes and set them next to each respective person. Sure enough, Sam ended up with a much larger set of boxes, but that had always been the case for as long as Orion could remember.

"You know what I'm really looking forward to?" Orion asked, as he received one of the last few in his stack.

"Don't say it," Sam said.

"Volunteering tomorrow."

"Every time you say it, and every time you just sound like a suck-up."

"Come on, Sam. It's the best part. Who needs these presents when you could just go help a bunch of people in a soup kitchen?"

"Well, in that case," his dad said, grabbing the top box back off of his stack.

"Wait a second, hold on."

"That's what I thought." He replaced the item.

"I've been meaning to ask, but never have," Rami started. "Is there a reason you volunteer on Christmas Day?"

All eyes fell on their dad, who smiled softly. "That was the day their mother died. Keeps the mind busy and the heart full."

"Sorry for asking."

"No. Don't be. Had to find out somehow. Alright, now we all know how this goes: oldest child first."

"That's so not true," Sam said.

"What do you mean? It's been a rule for years and years."

"Liar."

"Alright, fine. Youngest first. Go for it, Sam."

As she ripped at her first present, the house rumbled, and the jingling of dishes in the cupboards and ornaments on the tree interrupted the process. Orion stood up slowly, eyes wide, and looked over at the Clockwork, who had been sitting quietly next to Sam, his own little pile of presents in front of him. Then, without a word, Orion grabbed a jacket, and they both exited through the front door, which was specifically designed to prevent damage from an inhumanly tall brass beast.

Orion's first thought was that this was another earthquake. He'd had recurring nightmares every now and again about the one that had rocked the town square over two years ago during their confrontation with Syndra, but since then, nothing similar had happened.

Until now. He hopped up onto the Clockwork, who took off, his fake antlers and Christmas-colored scarf flying off.

It was a five-minute flight to the town square, and they landed down in the center. A group of people were all looking around, also shocked by the quake, but nobody knew what had happened.