Chapter One

(Jack's POV)

I bulldoze my way through kids in the hallway, ignoring their shouts and name-calling. I cannot be late for this.

I failed the fucking history test.

And it wasn't exactly my fault. I barely understood the questions on the paper. I'm 98% sure that the teacher's going senile anyways.

But I need to pass this test. I've seen my grandparents suffer enough. I will graduate high school this year, and dammit, I'll do it well. Two years I've been held back, two years I've been a senior, and God, I'm so ready for it to be over.

I shove open the door to the theater room- a place I regularly see in my nightmares. I try my hardest to keep the look of disgust off my face as I pass a group of drama kids sitting in a circle and arguing over a script.

I walk straight to the theater teacher's desk. Flora Larkin has been one of my least favorite teachers during my time here at Lowry High School.

She was younger, maybe twenty five or so, really pretty with frizzy blonde hair and green eyes. She dressed kind of like a hippie, which I guess was cool, but she was really really annoying. Even when I use my most jaw-dropping sarcasm, she had something to say. I used to think she had a thing for me because she talks to me a lot, but turns out she's just like that with everyone.

I thrust my hand in her face. "I'm here. Paper."

"Are you here for the makeup history test, Jack?" Miss Larkin asks dully, looking at my over her glasses.

"No. I'm auditioning for Annie." I deadpan.

"Really?" She smiles bitterly. "I would have pegged you as more of a Newsies type."

"Just give me the damn papers, Flora."

Miss Larkin rolls her eyes and pushes the test toward me. "You've got forty-five minutes. It's multiple choice, so you should be finished in twenty."

"Ten." I snatch the paper, taking a pencil from my pocket. I stand at her desk and start circling answers.

"You're cheating somehow." Miss Larkin sighs.

"Oh, Flora. You know what we agreed on. No strings, remember?" I give her a sarcastic smile. "I never thought you'd be the jealous type."

"Don't be a smartass, Mr. Morgan."

"Okay fine. I'll be a dumbass. Are you still taking auditions for that stupid play?"

"I'm going to ignore that direct assault toward my students and instead ask you how the hell you're answering those questions so quickly." She leans back in her seat, crossing her arms.

"It's a pattern." I tell her. "Every third answer is B. I just guess for the rest of them. It's been like that for years."

"I won't tell. I know your history teacher wants you out of this place as much as everybody."

"You know you'll miss me." I scribble my name on the top, write no thanks on the date line and toss the papers onto her computer keyboard.

"Done?"

"Nah. Just thought you could finish it for me."

Miss Larkin skims through the test, checking to see if I missed anything. "You can go now, Jack."

"This was fun." I grab my coat and turn on my heel, heading toward the door.

"Skip school again and I'll sign you up for the ensemble." She calls after me.