Chapter Four

(Shawn's POV)

It wasn't that bad. 

I might have enjoyed it. 

I'll admit, he's good at getting people to open up.

I sat across from Jack Morgan on a date. I talked to him about brothers and school and music and movies. I ate good food and maybe laughed a few times. But it's not like I'd ever tell anybody that he's an okay guy.

We have a lot in common, but he's gay. And I'm not.

That's the problem.

And he likes me. That's the bigger problem.

Our server was super gay, too. He had his hand on his hip the whole time we took our order and kept looking at Jack funny. Jack pretended not to notice, but the second the server walked away he looked at me and grinned like an idiot.

"He's so into me."

"You should get his number." I shrugged.

"Nope. Tonight's about you. Plus, he's not my type."

"What's your type?"

"Straight boys."

I scoffed. "Get ready for a lonely life then."

"Here's the thing," he said, taking a sip of water. "I turn them gay. Then they lose their charm, so I dump 'em and let them figure their shit out for themselves."

"Oh, fun."

"You wanna know how I turn them gay?"

"With your rugged good looks and charming personality?" I said sarcastically.

"Exactly." He said, pointing his fork at me. I smile down at my plate.

After dinner, the guy walked back over to our table. "You boys ready for the check?" The waiter says, flashing us a smile.

"You finished?" Jack looks at me. I nod.

He turns back to the guy. "Yeah, we'll take the check."

"Separate or together?" He asks, looking at Jack like he's the hottest thing on the planet.

"I'm paying." Jack says casually, taking out his wallet. I sigh.

The guy glances at me, a little judgmentally. I give him a brilliant smile. He presses his lips together, handing Jack the little tray with the receipt.

Jack grins at me. "Stop looking at me like that."

"Like what?" I frown.

"Like that." He says, nodding at me.

"I'm not looking at you in any way."

He looks back down, counting bills and smiling to himself.

The server looks kind of annoyed as Jack hands him the money. "It's raining outside. Just a heads up."

"Thanks." Jack says, grabbing his coat and standing up. I do the same, slipping my arms through the sleeves and looking up at Jack. He smiles, reaching over and buttoning my top button. "C'mon, let's get outta here."

I smack his hand. The server huffs under his breath and walks away.

"Don't do that." I hiss.

"It's funny. He's jealous of you."

"It has nothing to do with me. He likes you and you're messing with him." I cross my arms.

"Well, it could just be me showing affection towards you because I like you. Is that so hard to believe?" Jack teases, leaning toward me with this dumb smile.