~ 𝚜𝚗𝚎𝚊𝚔 𝚙𝚎𝚊𝚔 𝟶𝟷~

"Nightpaw!"

Nightpaw rushed over to Heatherwind, trying to be as silent as possible. "What?"

"Fetch me cobwebs. Quick!" Heatherwind was holding Breezewhisker's wound down with his forpaws. Red blood was already darkening his brown fur. "And get the herbs."

Nightpaw nodded and raced off to the herb storage. He grabbed some marigold, dock, comfrey root, cobweb, and catchweed. Finally, he rushed up to Heatherwind, and the two of them chewed the herbs into a fine poultice.

"Do you think she'll be okay?" Nightpaw fretted as he stuck catchweed to the cobwebs.

"She will. It's just a bite. It'll scar, yes, but she should recover."

Nightpaw flicked his gaze to Heatherwind, and saw uncertainty there. He felt the fur rise on the back of his neck. Heatherwind was never uncertain. He blinked at his mentor, then went back to finishing his portion.

Nightpaw patted the last of the burrs onto Breezewhisker's wounds. He glanced at Heatherwind again. Finally, he mustered, "Are you sure?"

"What?"

"Are you sure?" Nightpaw repeated. "That Breezewhisker will recover?"

"Yes! Of course..." Heatherwind snatched his gaze away. A heartbeat passed, then, "Go to sleep, Nightpaw. You need to rest. Tonight is half-moon, remember?"

"But I need to help you with the others–"

"No, I can manage. You've done enough for today. Now get in your nest and sleep. I'll be there in a moment."

Nightpaw hesitated. He said he can manage, Nightpaw knew that he meant it. And he can report without my help. At that thought, Nightpaw whisked away into his nest. His thoughts kept on flashing to Breezewhisker and the scene that he had witnessed at the entrance of the camp.

'It's just a bite'. Nightpaw looped Heatherwind's words through his mind. It was probably just the pain that made her pass out.

Nightpaw puffed out a breath, trying to calm himself, and closed his eyes. Before he knew it, sleep had dragged him into its peaceful void.