02

- { ° 𐦟 ° } -

2006

Kieran was not sulking.

He was simply protesting.

Silently.

In his room.

The moment he and Farleigh had arrived back at Saltburn, he made up his mind firmly that he wasn't going to enjoy it.

His family made this easy, for his uncle barely looked at him and his aunt treated him like a porcelain doll. His cousins didn't even come to greet them at the door.

The butler of the house, Duncan, though a bit creepy, was nice enough. The longer he spent here, the more he liked- and pitied- the staff.

For the last five hours since their arrival he had been in the room given to him, scowling. He paced for a bit, until his heart rate dizzied him and his knees ached.

He tried to draw the grounds outside his window, but staring at the labyrinth for too long gave him the chills.

A harsh knock startled him around seven pm. "Hey!"

It was Farleigh then.

"Dinner. Let's go!"

And he sounded quite impatient.

The boy made his way to the door, pausing to slip on a sweatshirt. For such a giant house there didn't seem to be any central heating.

"Fucking hurry."

Kieran, knowing his brother well enough to expect him to be leaning against the door, ripped it open as quickly as possible.

Farleigh stumbled, grabbing the doorframe. "You little shit," he muttered.

He grinned up at his brother innocently, receiving a scoff in return.

The Start boys went down to dinner, Farleigh begrudgingly glancing at the younger every few steps. When Kieran stumbled halfway, his hand twitched instinctively in case he needed help. He didn't hate him completely.

Kieran was of course too stubborn to have ever accepted assistance, and he showcased this tenacity later during the meal.

He rose after eating quickly, not wanting to remain in a room full of the worst sort of people; selfish who fully believe themselves selfless.

His right knee buckled, and he was reminded too late that he had removed his knee braces earlier due to the discomfort they caused.

His insufferable cousin, Felix, who was sat beside him moments ago, extended a hand almost lazily behind the teen's back, pushing him back up.

This would have been seen as a good hearted gesture to anyone else, but after nearly a lifetime of borderline infantilizing treatment, Kieran was blind to kindness.

He spun around, glaring daggers into the young man's dark eyes. Hundreds of insults flooded his mind at once.

He stayed quiet.