Chapter 8- Shadows of Knowledge

As the students filed out of the dining hall, they made their way to the classroom just across the hall. The air was filled with a mix of nervous anticipation and excited chatter. Entering the classroom, Jessica's attention was immediately drawn to its distinctive architecture and design. The heavy, carved wooden desks were arranged in ten rows. The room's ceiling soared high above, its round shape accentuated by dark wooden beams that added a sense of grandeur. At the front of the class, a large, thick black curtain dominated the wall. Above the curtain, a giant classic clock stretched all the way to the ceiling's apex, its hands moving in a hypnotic, steady rhythm.

Amy chose a desk near one of the tall windows that lined the room. She stretched her arms wide and announced, "This classroom is so cool it almost makes me want to study... almost," eliciting smiles from some of the students nearby.

The smiles that swiftly hushed as a series of heavy, deliberate footsteps echoed in the corridor. The students' gazes were drawn to the doorway as a shadow, tall and imposing, fell across the threshold. There, framed by the entrance, stood a man whose presence seemed to fill the space, his confident stance and piercing gaze instantly silencing the room. He appeared to be in his late twenties, striking a balance between youthful vigor and mature composure.

As he strode toward the teacher's desk, his dark cloak trailed behind him, catching the light with each purposeful step. The fabric of his classic yet modern attire was rich and finely woven, whispering against the air and outlining the strength of his build. The perfectly knotted tie at his throat accented the pronounced Adam's apple, lending an air of masculine elegance to his somber attire. The soft clink of his polished shoes on the wooden floor punctuated his approach, underscoring the deliberate, confident nature of his movements.

Silently, he advanced to the teacher's desk, his every step measured and assertive. His eyes, dark pools of scrutiny, moved slowly across the classroom, lingering momentarily on each student. One by one, they shrank slightly under his gaze, feeling as though his stare was peeling back layers of their very souls. Jessica, caught in that piercing gaze, noted the depth in his eyes, like endless voids, darker than a moonless night. His brow creased subtly, not a scowl, but a mark of constant thought, giving him an air of intensity that hung palpably in the classroom air.

With a fluid motion that spoke of power and precision, he withdrew a long black sophisticated wand from beneath his cloak. With his back turned to the class, he pointed his wand at the thick, black curtain at the front of the room. In a flourish of silver light, letters began to form, weaving into the fabric:

Samuel Hendrickson
Assistant Professor

As he turned toward the class, his thick, curly black hair seemed to add an air of untamed wilderness to his otherwise disciplined appearance. The curls, dark as the night sky, framed his face in a way that accentuated his sharp features and the stern set of his jaw. Each strand appeared almost deliberately placed, adding a touch of rebellious charm to his intense persona.

Without any introduction or greetings, he began to talk. "This class is different from anything that you have ever experienced." His husky voice with its deep British accent immediately drew every girl's attention. "You will learn the essentials for living, studying, and surviving in this world."

As he started to walk across the classroom, he continued, his voice steady and commanding, "From the history of witchcraft to introductory practical spells... Do not expect leniency in my exams. They will be challenging, perhaps even more so than those at the university. I intend to prepare you not just to succeed, but to excel—to stand indistinguishable from those born to magic."

He paused for emphasis, his gaze sweeping across the room as if to ensure each student grasped the gravity of his words, "Hard work here will make your path at Sunhide University considerably smoother. This class," he added with a deliberate nod, "is fundamental to your final examination."