Chapter 3- Echoes of the Unseen

As Jessica and her father crossed the threshold into their home, they were enveloped by the comforting embrace of home-cooked food. The tantalizing aroma of spices mingling with the sweet scent of freshly baked pastries wafted through the air, creating a tapestry of scents that was a stark contrast to the eerie atmosphere they had just left behind. The kitchen was a symphony of homely sounds; the sizzle of something frying, the gentle whisking of batter, and the clink of utensils dancing against pots and pans.

In the heart of this culinary haven stood Catherine Peterson, Jessica's mother. Her chestnut brown hair was pulled into her signature loose bun, strands escaping to frame her warm, hazel eyes that instantly registered concern. The slender silhouette of her 5'3" frame moved between the stove and the oven with an elegance that belied the speed of her bustling activity. Clad in her usual attire, an elegant floral blouse that complemented her librarian's love for classic charm, Catherine embodied the role of a nurturing homemaker as she cooked.

Her expression, usually serene like the organized shelves of her library domain, shifted to one of maternal alarm as she caught sight of Jessica's pale face and John's worried expression

Her expression, usually serene like the organized shelves of her library domain, shifted to one of maternal alarm as she caught sight of Jessica's pale face and John's worried expression. With a grace that carried her through the aisles of books and the avenues of her family's hearts, she approached them. "What happened, John?" her voice was steady, a soft but firm anchor in the swell of confusion that followed them home.

As Catherine approaches Jessica and John with concern, Jessica motions for her parents to be quiet and gestures towards the living room. There, on the other side of the room, Maria, Jessica's sister, is surrounded by a group of her fans. She is doing a live session on social media, unboxing cosmetics she recently received, and engaging with her audience. As she swipes a new shade of eyeshadow across her eyelids, her hazel eyes seem to sparkle with excitement. Her long, wavy brunette hair frames her face beautifully, catching the light as she leans in to give her followers a closer look at the makeup application.

Jessica leads her parents to her bedroom, where they can talk privately without revealing their private life to her audience. Then, Jessica begins to recount the events that have just unfolded. Catherine listens intently, her nurturing nature taking over as she tries to understand and support her daughter through this unexpected revelation.

Jessica quickly explained the situation, recounting the terrifying events at the escape room. She told them about the phantom, her ability to hear his voice in her head, the creepy old woman that only she could see, and the inexplicable light from her hand. Jessica's father then mentioned the arrival of the FBI agent and the subsequent investigation.

Catherine looked at Jessica, her eyes filled with a mixture of concern and awe. "oh my God! Jessica, this is... this is a lot to take in. Are you okay? Did you get hurt?"

"I'm physically fine, Mom, but mentally, I'm a mess. I don't know what happened back there. It was like something inside me just... activated," Jessica replied, her voice tinged with confusion.