Chapter 1 - The Cold Embrace

According to the ancient laws, there are only two ways a person is introduced into the vampire society. The first way requires that you be so precious and irreplaceable, the vampires have no other choice than to change you. Even then you’ll become a minion first, bound to your master for a few years as you settle into the new life. The second way is through love and servitude—if and only if the local council approves your Sire’s request. This route often involves decades of minion existence, your youth sustained by a fickle master’s blood. Forever is a very long time for lovers. And a servant with no legal rights can be cast away at a whim. It’s a bargain you make with the devil, based on hope and faith alone.

Well, at least these are the official rules. Then there are accidents, acts of passion or rebellion. The odd person that slips through the system’s cracks. No matter what the reason though, most of these fledgling vampires do not survive long; they’re hunted down as soon as they’re discovered and destroyed along with their maker as an example to others. The ancient laws are strict and exceptions are rare.

Of course, luck would have it that this was exactly the way I was Embraced.