Coming back

*DING*

"Hello, this is your captain speaking. We are making our decent down into Chicago within the next 15 minutes. Could everyone fasten their seatbelts and secure their tray tables."

Gabrielle tried to calm her nerves as she felt the plane touchdown on the runway.

All of her memories of life in Chicago came flooding back... Casey, Shay's death, Firehouse 51, the job she loved for so long and her family.

'what am i doing? is he even going to want to see me after all this time?'

'Yes. He has to right? We were married once, before i decided i needed more and i needed to get the hell out of Chicago. Things will be different this time.'

Thoughts plagued Gabrielle's mind as she gathered her belongings to get off the plane, she ever so briefly thought about getting straight back onto a flight to Puerto Rico until a voice in her head stopped her. She knew she had to do this, she knew she couldn't keep running. She quickly made her way through the terminal to baggage claim and quickly found her suitcase. Walking out towards the Taxi bay, she thought of her next moves.

'Where do i go first? I definitely can't go to Matt's apartment, that would just be stupid.'

She quickly realised the first place she should go, being home for the first time in 8 years.

'Taxi!' Gabrielle yelled, followed by a whistle to get a taxi driver's attention.

She quickly moved towards the taxi and put her belongings inside.

'Where to Miss?'

'Uh, can you please take me to 1925 West Wolcott Street.'

The taxi driver started the car and started making his way to the address Gabrielle had given him. She sat in the back seat trying to calm her nerves as she realised she hadn't told anyone at Firehouse 51 she was coming back. What would they think? Would they be happy that she's back? Too late to back out now, you're already here.

'Miss? Are you okay? We're here already'

Gabrielle snapped out of her thoughts and quickly thanked the driver and paid him the fare before she got out.

She stood on the sidewalk wondering how she was going to muster up the courage to walk inside. The place hadn't changed at all, still the same brick walls, same signage displayed at the front of the building to say "Molly's".

'okay enough thinking, i just need to walk inside and everything else will be okay.'

Gabrielle slowly walked up the steps and pushed open the wooden door to walk inside.

'Oh my god! Gabby? When did you get back??'