Weekend Trip

"I wonder who's going to snag the lead role of Romeo," Max muttered, breaking the silence.

"Well, lucky for me, I've got musicals!" Iris chimed in, earning nods of agreement from us as we exchanged amused glances. Yeah, because Iris as Juliet would be a real showstopper.

"Yeah, lucky for us too," I joked, knowing Iris's acting skills aren't exactly award-winning. Let's just say she's better off behind a microphone than in front of a camera. But hey, we love her anyway.

We powered through the day, enduring classes and squeezing in rehearsals for the play. Apparently, the school play is the highlight of the freshman experience. Because what's more thrilling than watching a bunch of amateurs playing Shakespeare?

Finally, it's 4 PM. We headed to the lockers to grab our stuff. We decided on a café outing, where I opted for iced tea while the others went for pink lemonade, sandwiches, and fries. Aunt Cass always says we don't function well on caffeine, and she's probably right. 

Lost in thought about Justin's weird time-loop situation, I barely noticed Stephen nudging me with fries until he practically shoved them in my face.

"Earth to Alex?" he said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, yeah, thanks," I replied, finally coming back to reality. Because nothing screams "living in the moment" like being haunted by your twin brother's time-travel woes.

"I heard there are some transfer students coming on Monday," Emma mentioned, sipping her lemonade.

"Transfers?" Iris raised an eyebrow, her interest piqued.

"Yeah, apparently they're twins too. Guess we'll meet them soon," Emma added, and I couldn't help but wonder if our school is secretly a collecting doppelgangers.

We stayed a bit longer, discussing plans for the weekend. But somehow, I had a feeling it was going to be a long one. Because when you're stuck in a time loop with your twin brother and a bunch of nagging friends, what else could you expect?

"Alright, let's head back. It's getting late, and we've got a long walk ahead of us," Iris declared, prompting us to say our goodbyes and leave the café. Because who needs Uber when you've got the power of cardio? Right!

As we walked home, Elena texted us about the weekend plan—heading to the beach. We reached home before dark, and after a quick shower and change, I found myself lying in bed, re-living todays morning events. Just as I started to drift off to sleep, Justin popped in.

"Hey, you okay?" he asked, worried.

"Yeah, I'm good. What's Iris up to?" I replied, because clearly, we're all her personal assistants now.

"Taking her beauty sleep. And she said not to bother you," he chuckled.

"Classic Iris," I laughed, because nothing says beauty sleep like a nap before the apocalypse.

"Oh, by the way, Elena called. We're packing for a beach trip until Sunday," he informed me.

"Ugh, any chance I can skip out on that?" I groaned, because my thoughts aren't exactly screaming "vacation" to me.

"Nope, sorry sis. If I'm stuck, you're stuck," he grinned, as you know, twinhood and sibling rivilary comes with a side of blackmail.

"Fine, traitor," I teased, clearly, brotherly love knows no bounds.

"Alright, I'll let you get some sleep. We've got an early start tomorrow," he said, heading out.

"Night, twin brother," I called after him, because saying goodnight to your reflection just doesn't have the same ring to it.