01. The beginning

"The beginning."

╚════════🌻════════╝

╚════════🌻════════╝

SELENA MCCALL:

There were many things for which I could feel embarrassed in life, but spending the night at home with my brother? Wasn't one of those at all.

A cup of coffee and a horror movie was all I needed to rest after the long day I had had. Working and studying was definitely not as easy as I had thought, not to mention the part where I had to help my mother at home as well. I knew it was a sacrifice; that sooner or later it would pay off; I was willing to suffer at first, just to continue to keep my brother in comfort and my mother worry-free. Although, well, I couldn't complain either since Scott was not at all the typical slacker teenager. He helped out quite a bit and I knew he wasn't being forced, everything he did, he did because he really wanted to. Although, of course, I tried to do my best so that Scott didn't have to be anxious about not being able to do more.

In conclusion, that was my life: taking care of my brother.

I tilted my head to one side, achieving that, by stretching slightly, my neck relaxed a little.

After making some popcorn and putting on some comfortable clothes, I headed upstairs to my brother's room. I was going to invite him to enjoy our last night together before school started again.

I stopped at the door and leaned under the threshold. I was aware that Scott didn't like me coming in without his permission, I knew he had nothing to hide; there was nothing interesting going on in his life, but he wanted to play mysterious from time to time. To be honest, that seemed to be Stiles' idea so that I wouldn't see them as what they were: losers, but rather, like guys who were interesting and didn't like to hang out with other people.

But, I knew they had no friends beyond the two of them and, perhaps, they considered me just another friend after all.

I smiled as soon as I saw Scott come out of the bathroom, then grab his Lacrosse stick that was resting on top of his bed and sit down right there.