Chapter 13: Labyrinth of Dreams

We went back to the carriage to ride to this mysterious Labyrinth. It must have been past midnight. I didn't even remember the last time I had stayed up this late, but then again, I had slept all day.

Astor seemed tired. He crawled to the back of the carriage and curled up in his folds. Then I realized he was weeping. I touched the bundle of folds? "Are you okay Astor?"

As the carriage started moving, Astor slipped his white hand out of his folds and took mine. I heard a muffled "Thank you."

I softly caressed the bundle. "What happened? Why are you so upset?"

"Still offended," Astor growled. "I am so sorry. I tend to lose mytemper rather quickly. Do not tell me to get over myself. I struggle with that.Where is Willy? I need... I need..."

Poor Astor! "What can I do to get your proud spirit back up?"

Astor squeezed my hand. "That will take a while.  I need some time alone. Please leave me, Nyx. Ido not want... I... I might hurt you." The folds shifted as he changed position. His hand slipped away from mine. He seemed to have curled up in a fetal position. "Willy? WILLY!" 

"You called, Highness?" I jumped and turned around to see Willy sitting behind me, gazing at the bundle with his big brown eyes.

"Astor seems upset," I told him.

Willy sighed, then smiled weakly. "I suppose seeing that brother of yours—"

"He's not my brother."

"Well, whomever he is, seeing him on Astor's throne must have hurt Astor's pride."

"That is an understatement," said Astor sharply.

"He needs to sulk. Give him a few minutes, and he will be fine."

I looked back at the bundle. "Astor, praise yourself! Give yourself a pat on the wing! Bryon tried to steal your throne, but you strode right up there and kicked his butt. You showed him you wouldn't tolerate it, and you gave him what he deserved. Then you re-claimed your throne. Don't be so hard on yourself!" I hugged the bundle.

"I shall try not to," said Astor calmly.

Willy laughed. "Well, seems like she has you figured out, Your Highness! Now, is there anything I can get for you?"

"I feel better, I think," said Astor. 

Astor certainly felt better by the time we arrived at the Labyrinth. "Behold!" he cried, presenting a wall of rock in the mountainside. "The entrance to the Labyrinth!" He stepped up to the wall and placed his hand on a small indentation in the rock. With a loud grinding sound, the stone wall slid open to reveal a hallway in almost complete darkness. "Onward!" Astor exclaimed, and we hesitantly stepped into the hallway. The stone wall rumbled closed behind us.

Once we were sealed in the hallway, Lilah started whimpering with terror. Jasmine opened her hand. Sitting in her hand was a small blue light— a Shadowlight. Lilah calmed down slightly, but she was still panting with fear. Astor gave her a crooked sort of smile, which was kind of cute, and also kind of disconcerting. "What about the dark scares you most of all, Lilah? Is it the darkness itself, or the thought that there might be something lurking in the dark that will harm you?"