Chapter 1

The recent abductions had me rattled. I sat in class, heart beating out of my chest. I was surprised Alya couldn't hear it, sitting right next to me. I tried to focus on how the artificial classroom lights caught Adrien's hair in front of me, but even my creature comforts couldn't soothe my anxieties. 

Hawkmoth had been abducting random citizens in Paris for weeks, holding them as ransom in exchange for Ladybug and Chat Noir's miraculous. Classic. I frequently had to excuse myself from dinner with my parents when I saw news of new victims flash across the TV screen. 

"Marinette?" My head shot up. I looked around nervously, my eyes finally finding Mme Bustier's concerned face. "Is everything alright?" 

I sighed looked at my desk. "Yes, I'm fine. I... I don't know. All of these abductions have had me on edge lately," I said. There was a quiet, rumbling agreement amongst my classmates. Mme Bustier sighed and set our medieval French history textbook down on her desk. "I suppose the troubadors and trouveres can wait. I know that Hawkmoth has made everyone extra anxious lately, myself included. I'm dismissing class for the rest of the day. Please go home and rest up." 

Although class was cancelled so early in the day, no one seemed happy about it. I looked out the window, and the sky was a cloudy gray, offering no hope for Paris. I watched as my classmates packed up their bags, slowly marching out. I started to put my pencils and books into my bag, hoisting it up on to the table. Alya sighed, snapping me out of my funk.

"Get home safe, girl. I don't want anything to happen to you," she said. I smiled. "You too." She  walked out of class hand in hand with Nino. I realized the only people left in the room were myself, Mme Bustier, and Adrien. I hastily shoved my things into my bag and tried to rush down the stairs, but not without tripping over myself and falling to the floor. I groaned, the wood scraping uncomfortably against my arm. Before I knew it, Adrien was at my side. 

"Marinette, are you alright?" he asked, his green eyes looking at me with concern. He reached out his hand to help me up, and I nervously took it. I tried to laugh off my great tumble. "Yeah, um... I'm fine, thanks." I tried to walk out of the classroom quickly, hoping not to embarrass myself more. I brushed the hand that held his on my pants, trying to get rid of the burning sensation from touching him. I heard Adrien's footsteps behind me, hot on my trail. Mme Bustier giggled behind us. "Get home safe."

"Wait, Marinette!" he called. I nervously swallowed, stopping in my tracks, waiting for him to catch up with me. "Are you sure you're okay? Not just physically," he said, his eyes darting to my hand rubbing my arm. "You've seemed distant lately. I'm here if you want to talk," Adrien said earnestly, placing his hand on my shoulder. 

I felt my cheeks go hot. "Thank you, Adrien. I'm okay. Stay safe," I said quickly, hoping my blush wasn't too noticeable. I jogged the short distance from school to my house. I entered the bakery, but my parents were no where to be found. The smell of burnt croissants burned my nostrils. I gasped, seeing smoke coming from the oven. I set my bags down and ran towards the oven, opening the oven to a puff of black air. I leaned away and coughed, refusing to let the smoke get inside my lungs. I turned off the oven, grabbed mitts, and pulled a tray of ash out from the oven.

That's strange, I thought. Dad never burns croissants. Maybe he forgot. 

I grabbed my bags and ran upstairs. "Mom? Dad?" I called out as I entered our flat. No response. I checked in their bedroom and the kitchen, but they were gone. Tikki emerged from my purse and flew in front of my face. "Marinette, it's okay. I'm sure they're around here somewhere!" 

I shook my head, anxiety beginning to take over. "I don't think so." I scrambled around our flat some more, until I found my mother's cracked tablet laying on the couch. With shaky hands, I slowly picked it up. A glowing purple butterfly symbol was the only thing visible on the screen. All of a sudden, a message played.

"Two more have been taken. Ladybug and Chat Noir must give me their miraculous. If not, they remain with me," growled a sinister voice. 

Hawkmoth.

"Marinette, please save us!" Mom called out from the background. 

"Mom?!" I exclaimed, my hands gripping the tablet tighter.

"Quiet!" Hawkmoth shouted. There was the sound of something falling and cracking, and then there was silence. I felt all the blood drain from my face. My breath came short and did not reach my diaphragm. I barely noticed Tikki fly up next to me before I transformed into Ladybug. 

I launched myself out of my room, letting my yo-yo do the work in propelling me across Paris. I flew to the top of the Eiffel Tower, praying that Chat Noir would join me soon. The mayor had the sense to shut down public monuments for the time being, so there was no risk of any civilians seeing me in this state. I tried to calm my nerves by pacing around, but it did nothing. I ran to the railing and vomited over the side. I felt bad for whoever was walking below me. I shuddered and sat down, as my vision was becoming blurry again. 

No one knew what Hawkmoth was doing to those he abducted, and although I did not want to, it was my job to find out. It was too much. Getting impatient, I opened my yo-yo and left Chat Noir a voicemail.

"Chat, I'm at the Eiffel Tower. Meet me as soon as you can."

The message sent, and I put my yo-yo back on my hip. I decided to spend the next couple of minutes pulling myself together. Chat Noir couldn't know that it was my parents that got taken; it would reveal my identity and make life hell for both of us. Although my parents being gone created a gaping hole in my stomach, at least it meant no one would question my whereabouts. I was alone.

I heard a light thud and footsteps approaching me. I looked up into a pair of piercing green eyes.

"I came as quickly as I could, m'lady."