X

X

THE DECISION

Prince Dion and I exited the vaulted dining room, our strides synchronized, but an uneasy weight lingered in the pit of my stomach. Cedrin's sudden departure was the least of my concerns. To me, the most unsettling thing was the sight of Ranlrein occupying my mother's seat.

His grin, directed at me amidst the men's discussions, sent shivers down my spine. How could my father do this? It was foolish to expect him to honor my mother in death when he showed her no respect in life.

I couldn't shake the thought of what the advisors would make of this breach in Imperial custom. These were the elders who sat behind the round table and were custodians of tradition.

They are guardians of the Imperial legacy and they are strict, especially when it comes to preserving them. They had witnessed my father ascend the throne but will they let go of this disrespect?

I don't think so.

But my father, the great emperor himself, had just shattered that revered tradition and for what? For his lover, a man who held no sway within the Court. A man who was nothing but a simple stable boy who he cherished. I was certain that once news of this breach reached the ears of the inner court, the imperial palace would erupt in uproar. For once, I found solace in not residing within those suffocating walls.

Beside me, Prince Dion emitted a low hum, his voice piquing my curiosity. What expression was he wearing? Is he looking at me with pity? Perhaps he was confused about what had happened inside.

I turned my head to catch a glimpse of his profile. "Thank you," I murmured as we strolled past the bridge that spanned a tranquil pond.

"What are you thankful for, Princess Cecilia?" he inquired, his tone measured.

I lowered my gaze, focusing on my intertwined fingers. "For rescuing me from that place," I confessed, pausing to collect my thoughts.

"You noticed?" I pondered aloud, realizing he might have heard me as he audibly took a breath. Slowly, I turned to face him and found his expression grim.

"You looked like you didn't want to be there," he replied somberly.

Was he always this considerate? 

Perhaps he was. Our short tea time sessions where we converse about the most random of topics, prove to be pleasant and show his kind side. However, that kind of carefree and idle life does not suit a puppet princess like me.

Perhaps his kindness is real, but I am in no position to believe in kindness without motive. No, it was just too good to be true. Perhaps he needed something from me or wanted to ask me something. Was it for the good of his kingdom? It was plausible. If our interests aligned, I might be able to assist him, if he actually needed something from me.

"Before I came here to court you, Princess Cecilia, I took the time to learn about the culture and beliefs of your Empire," Prince Dion revealed, his words drawing my full attention.

If he had indeed studied the Ostulia Empire, then there was no doubt he was aware of the long-standing traditions within the Imperial Family.

Which meant he knew the symbolism of the cloth and how absurd my father's actions were.

"Oh," was all I could manage to say, averting my gaze as memories of the earlier nightmare flooded my mind.

"So you understand the significance of my father's actions at the luncheon."