Chapter 4

As soon as the bike stopped in front of an unassuming one storey structure, Haseena looked up and saw the board above the entrance.

ASHRAY - DOMESTIC ANIMAL RESCUE & PET ADOPTION CENTRE

This time Haseena Mallik needed no encouragement. This time she let out a happy squeal, got off the bike and was running up the entrance stairway before Karishma Singh had even parked the bike properly. Karishma laughed outright as she took off her helmet and watched Haseena sheepishly come back down the stairs because she had run while still wearing her helmet.

As they entered the facility, they were greeted by a lady the same age as them. Karishma introduced her as Nidhi, an old acquaintance who runs this centre.

Nidhi informed the two officers that an illegal housing society had been razed to the ground recently and many dogs and cats were left to fend for themselves in the ruins. The government only provided shelter for displaced humans. Also a few dogs had recently given birth as it was the breeding season and they had a handful of newborn puppies. They were up to the neck with work and a couple of their staff had to go on an emergency leave. So she'd called Karishma and requested if she could arrange for volunteers to help them out.

(Nidhi had learnt this entire speech by heart as ordered by Karishma the day before. She owed it to this officer that a local real estate goon had not managed to demolish her rescue centre. So she was more than willing to let Karishma and her friend spend time here playing... ahem helping... with the animals)

Haseena couldn't wait and her enthusiasm knew no bounds as they were led into the room with new born pups and Nidhi advised them on how they can be of assistance.

Haseena was tying up her hair to keep it out of the way when she suddenly stopped and asked Karishma a strange question.

'Karishma, hum khule baalon mein better lagte hain ya bandhe baalon mein?'

Karishma squinted and pretended to think then said with a straight face. 'Aap buzz cut mein sabse achhi lagengi.'

Haseena threw her rubber band at Karishma's face but the latter laughed and dodged the attack. She retrieved the band and still laughing said, 'Haseena aap koi bhi style mein achhi lagti hain. Hum thoda sa biased hain aapko leke. Humein toh aap bhes badalte waqt ajeeb ajeed wig pehene hue bhi achhi lagti hain. Aap koi unbiased insaan se pucch lena.'

Haseena bit her lip to control her grin and turned away to hide her blush. Karishma didn't notice though. She was busy rolling up her sleeves.

So over the next couple of hours, a playful Karishma and a toddler-high-on-sugar Haseena bathed, cleaned and helped feed the new born pups. They also helped the healer out with some of the rescued dogs and cats who were wounded. Haseena played, nuzzled and hummed songs with the adorable fur balls. She also pulled Karishma in to join her childish antics. The latter did it all too willingly.

Very few people knew about this side of Haseena. Far away from the persona of the SHO; the controlled, calm unshakable voice of reason, pillar of support for others and always conscious police officer... this childish, carefree Haseena laughed loudly, pranked and teased endlessly and was overall a riot to be around.

Hours later, physically exhausted but emotionally recharged, the two women finally left the animal enclosures. Haseena had whined a bit about adopting one or two or three puppies, but Karishma resolutely shook her head. Their unconventional job schedules, transferable locations and lack of more family members to help out, made them unsuitable pet parents — as of now. Maybe in the future, Karishma had tried to explain.

Haseena had sat unmoving, giving Karishma her own puppy eyes, complete with pout and slightly crinkled nose - a deadly combination.

Karishma had sighed, pinched her nose, rubbed her forehead and finally come up with a placating idea. She got Nidhi to give Haseena a Volunteer ID Card which gave her permission to come and help out at the centre whenever she wanted. Haseena grinned widely. Then promptly asked Nidhi to issue a similar ID Card to Karishma and the latter realised that she was now going to be regularly dragged to this place. But Haseena's wide, wide smile made it all worth it.