Chapter 12

Christmas was a beautiful time. Claire and Danny tackled everything at her house. They ended up having Claire's parents and Danny's mom over. It was nice to get them to meet; they even hit it off really well. After dinner they all played a couple of board games and cards. The wine made for even better times. But it wouldn't be Christmas without present swapping. Danny brought Claire to tears with the beautiful forever necklace he got for her and matching bracelet. All the diamonds, she felt like it was a crime to wear them. The moms awed and brought tears to even their eyes. Claire thought he spent way too much but she cherished it. Claire got Danny some tickets to his favorite basketball team. To some it may have been a lost gift but he jumped up and hugged her so fast she wasn't even expecting it. He was like a kid in the candy store. She told him he didn't even have to take her. It could be a guy's night out if he wanted to. Claire's dad interjected rather quickly to be the plus 1 on that night.

Claire Started cleaning up as her dad motioned for Danny to join him on the porch with a cigar. Claire just smiled because she feels like her Dad finally got a son he always wanted.

"Honey, things are going so well for you and Danny is it not?" Claire's mom was pushing in some chairs helping her clean up.

"Mom, he's amazing." Claire was grinning ear to ear.

"Seriously, you raised an amazing son and I couldnt be happier." Claire was telling Danny's mom.

She had a little blush. "Danny has grown to be someone amazing, I will agree. But, what is this Greg stuff I've heard in the grapevine around town?" Danny's mom sprang that on Claire out of nowhere.

Claire's mom started to respond but Claire cut her off.

"You heard about that?" Claire possessed and just looking at Danny's mom's face, she wanted the full story.

"I assure you Greg is out of the picture. He is a jealous ex and this will pass. I am confident we are both very safe from him." Claire stood tall.

"Your safety is beyond important but we can't have this Greg messing up my son's career. If his patients hear him getting in fights around town, the cops become involved. How does that look dear?" Danny's mom liked Claire but of course cared for her son more.

"I fully understand that, and his career is just as important as mine. I never asked for this and nothing will ever happen..."

"Because I won't let it." Danny came behind his mother and hugged her from behind. He reached out for Claire's hand and pulled her close as he walked around his mom.

"Mom I know you are concerned and I told you not to bring that up here. Claire is safe and I am making sure of that. My practice won't be touched by this regardless. And if it were then, I need better understanding patients. It's that simple." Danny kissed Claire on the forehead and turned to his mom.

She started to say something and the look he gave her let her know she wasn't going to win this one. She sighed, looked at the time and thanked everyone for having her and motioned for Danny to walk her out.

Claire's mom wanted to add a little something but Claire's dad just squeezed her hand. "Leave it alone." her dad whispered.

As Danny walked his mom out he was slightly disappointed in her. "Mom, why would you do that?" he asked her.

"Honey, you wouldn't give me answers so I asked the source." She really felt she did nothing wrong.

"I need you to please just let it go, I am fine, she is fine and with my practice of all things? Her safety is more important." Danny added.

"Trust me if things get too hot I know when enough is enough." He got his mom in the car and watched her drive off.

With the holidays behind them the girls at the shop just had one more night to tackle. They were all back in the shop and it was time to get ready for New Years Eve. Claire had gone in early to get the basic things up. Danny had stopped by with coffee and some breakfast.