03- Yearning in the air

The crisp air swept through Yoongi's hair, the chill accentuating the quiet as he stood on the porch, his breath visible in the cold. The glow of distant streetlights cast a gentle glow on the packed bags beside him, each item carefully chosen for a journey that came unexpectedly.

As he locked the door behind him, the metallic click seemed louder than usual, sealing off the world he was leaving behind. Just as he was about to step down the porch, Jimin, his friend since university, appeared in front of his face.

Surprise and worry played on Jimin's face as he neared the elder one, eyes widening at the sight of Yoongi's packed bags. "Yoongi hyung, where are you off to at this hour? Is everything okay?" Jimin's curiosity cut through the stillness.

The cab's arrival interrupted any immediate response from Yoongi. He nodded at Jimin, a silent acknowledgment, before loading his bags into the cab's trunk. Jimin's concern deepened, his voice breaking the urgency of the moment.

"Hyung… where are you going?"

Yoongi turned to face Jimin, one foot inside the cab and the other anchored on the concrete ground. "Heading to Indonesia. My grandmother wanted me to go."

"Oh, her final request or something?"

A fleeting hint of irritation crossed Yoongi's gaze at the mention of his grandmother's last wish. "Exactly," he reluctantly confirmed.

Jimin's concern lingered, but the cab's engine hummed, a reminder that time was slipping away. Unable to hold himself back, he voiced out his thoughts.

"You promised to meet me at the cafe today. It was supposed to be our date, hyung."

Yoongi shut his eyes briefly, guilt washing over him. The weight of unfulfilled promises settled on his shoulders. He was well aware of Jimin's crush and the courage it took for him to initiate a date. Yoongi would most probably have rejected the proposal if not for Jimin's plea to explore the potential between them. Jimin desperately believed that they would make a good couple.

"It's just… you promised you would come," Jimin admitted, vulnerability seeping into his voice.

The guilt within Yoongi intensified. He opened his eyes, meeting Jimin's gaze, regret etched across his face. "I am really sorry, Jimin. This trip came up suddenly. I didn't mean to let you down."

Jimin managed a weak smile, masking the hurt beneath. "It's okay, hyung. Family comes first."

With a gulp, Yoongi mustered the courage to ask, "What time was the date?" Jimin hesitated for a moment, the weight of the truth hanging in the air, before finally admitting, "It was supposed to be at 5 in the evening."

Yoongi's stomach twisted with guilt. It was now 11 pm, and his flight was scheduled for midnight. The realization hit him like a wave – Jimin had been waiting for six hours at the cafe, personally coming to check for him when he didn't show up.

However, instead of resentment, Jimin smiled bravely, closing the emotional distance between them. With a step closer, he planted a kiss on Yoongi's cheek, wishing him a safe journey. The gesture caught Yoongi off guard, rendering him momentarily speechless. How could Jimin still smile, knowing that Yoongi had completely forgotten about their date? About him.

Yoongi genuinely believed that Jimin deserved better and concluded that Jimin didn't deserve the unintentional disappointment caused by his actions. This understanding left Yoongi with a profound sense of guilt and the conviction that Jimin deserved someone who would reciprocate his feelings wholeheartedly.

Unable to find the right words, Yoongi managed only a weak smile before finally stepping into the waiting cab. The door closed behind him, leaving Jimin standing alone in front of Yoongi's house, watching the car pull away.

As the cab began to drive off, Jimin's voice echoed in the quiet night. "I'll meet you soon, hyung!" The words hung in the air, a promise that mingled with the distant hum of the engine. Jimin stood there, a lone figure bathed in the glow of streetlights, a mix of emotions concealed behind his parting words. The car disappeared from his sight, leaving only the echoes of an unspoken goodbye.

***

The hum of the airplane engines created a subtle ambiance in the cabin as it cruised through the skies, carrying Taehyung, Jungkook, and Yoongi to their destination. The trio occupied a row, with Yoongi comfortably nestled by the window, staring pensively at the clouds below. Taehyung, seated at the opposite end, couldn't conceal the flickers of irritation that danced across his features.

Jungkook, oblivious to the undercurrents, occupied the middle seat, dividing his attention between Yoongi and Taehyung. Taehyung, however, struggled to contain the rising jealousy as Yoongi effortlessly engaged Jungkook in conversation, seizing the younger's attention.

A sigh escaped Taehyung's lips as he yearned for a moment alone with Jungkook. His imagination had painted a scenario where he would ‘accidentally’ lean against Jungkook's side, get cozy, and perhaps take a peaceful nap until the plane touched down. Yet, Yoongi's presence shattered those dreams.

As Yoongi continued to talk with Jungkook about his grandmother's weird last wish, Taehyung found himself clenching his fists, fighting the urge to make biting comments. He turned his face away, gaze fixed on a random flight attendant at a distance, silently willing the flight to pass quickly.

In a desperate attempt to distract himself, Taehyung pulled out his phone, unlocking the screen to be met with Jimin's message from an hour ago. Jimin had inquired about Yoongi's whereabouts. Taehyung's eyes rolled involuntarily at the irony of the situation.

He opened the chat, fingers dancing across the screen, and replied to Jimin's question. ‘I'm so close to throwing Yoongi out of the airplane!’ He typed with a frustrated frown.

‘What did he do?’

You know it, Jimin,’ Taehyung typed. ‘He's got all of Jungkook's attention, and it's getting under my skin. My hands are practically itching to pull Jungkook towards me, claiming him with a kiss.’

Jimin let out a sad chuckle reading Taehyung's message, ‘At least the one you love is always by your side, responding every time you reach out. Here I am, waiting for Yoongi to notice the love I have for him. I waited at the cafe, only to discover he was heading to Indonesia. Both you and Jungkook are accompanying him, and yet, I'm left without an invitation.’

Taehyung felt bad reading Jimin's text; he could almost feel the sadness through the message. He always knew how much Jimin loved Yoongi and he did it blindly. Jimin was always ready to proudly show it to everyone around. But Taehyung genuinely felt that Yoongi doesn't deserve Jimin. He was too good for someone like Yoongi who didn't even care about anyone except himself.

It will be alright, Jimin. You will get over it. There are many who want to date you. I would definitely date you if I wasn't in love with my Jungkook,’  Taehyung typed, trying to console his friend. ‘I’ll talk to you later. I need to take a nap before the flight lands.’

‘True. I can get anyone I want. But they aren't Yoongi.’ Jimin smiled, his eyes almost tearing up. ‘Anyways, you take some rest. I'll see you soon,’  Taehyung read the last message before turning off his phone. If he was in Korea, Taehyung would definitely console his dear friend with a hug.

---

Is Taehyung right about Yoongi? Should Jimin be listening to Taehyung and move on?

Also, Imagine Taehyung can message from the plane using the onboard WiFi. It's a fanfic, so anything is possible.