002. the scissors

For the rest of the school year, it seemed that the entire school was playing a trick on River and Percy. They were glad that they at least knew they had each other. The students were convinced that Mrs. Kerr had been their pre-algebra teacher since Christmas.

    River and Percy almost believed them—Mrs. Dodds had never existed.

    Almost.

    Grover didn't fool them. When Mrs. Dodds was mentioned, he would hesitate, and claim she never existed. They knew he was lying.

    Something did happen at the museum.

    The freak weather still went on. Thunderstorms, tornadoes, there were also a lot of small planes going down in the Atlantic Ocean.

    Percy's grades dropped. His mood went down. He got into more fights.

    The headmaster sent their mother a letter saying they would not be invited back to Yancy Academy next year.

    Great, River thought. Only the sixth school they've been kicked out of in the last six years.

    But River was homesick. She missed being with her mom in their little apartment on the Upper East Side. But, she would miss Grover, the only person who wanted to be friends with River and Percy.

    Percy and River only studied for Mr. Brunner's class as finals came closer. One night, Percy got so frustrated he threw his textbook across our dorm room. He paced the room. He took a deep breath and picked up the book.

    "I'm going to go ask Mr. Brunner for help," Percy said.

    "Alright," River responded. "But you have to help me after."

    "Okay, fine," he said as he walked out the door.

    River sat in the dorm room, looking out the window to the woods and Hudson River in the distance. River always wondered why she was named after a body of water. She sat there for a little. Grover walked in.

    "Hey River," he said as he grabbed his Latin notes and sat on his bed.

    "Hi Grover," River said.

    A few minutes later, Percy walked in.

    "Hey," Grover said. "You going to be ready for the test?"

    Percy didn't answer.

    "You alright, Perc?" River asked.

    "Just...tired."

    He started getting ready for bed.

The next afternoon, as they were leaving their three-hour exam, Mr. Brunner called them back inside.

"Percy, River," Mr. Brunner said. "Don't be discouraged about leaving Yancy. It's...it's for the best."

His tone was kind, but his words were still embarrassing. He was speaking quietly, but other kids finishing the test could hear. Nancy Bobofit smirked at them and River glared at her.

"Okay, sir," Percy mumbled.

"I mean..." Mr. Brunner hesitated like he was trying to find what to say. "This isn't the right place for you two. It was only a matter of time."

River felt like crying. Her favorite teacher, in front of the class, told her she couldn't handle it. After believing in the twins all year, now saying they were destined to get kicked out.

"Right," Percy said.

"No, no," Mr. Brunner said. "Oh confound it all. What I'm trying to say...you guys are not normal. That's nothing to be—"