⋒ 6

╭── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╮
chapter 6
╰── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╯

"olivia!" i turn at the sound of my name. "olivis!" the man calls again and i turn recognizing his voice but not seeing him. "james?" i scream as he pops out from the crowd. i run out and around the rock climbing wall towards the boy i once thought liked me romantically. i launch myself into his arms as we laugh. "why didn't you tell me you were coming back? how long have you been here for? you better not be avoiding me?" his questions fire off one after another and i don't have time to answer any of them. he hugs me tightly again which hinders my ability to breathe.

"don't worry, we just got here, like yesterday, i swear," i promise the brunette who puts on a serious face and nods. "i'll tell you everything later cause it's wild, like wilder then last summer." he drops his jaw in mock shock. "woah, that's big," he teases. "wait are you here alone?" i ask looking around for someone waiting for him. "no, my younger cousins but they've disappeared and i'm done doing babysitting duty," he explains while pulling out his phone. "found friend. can no longer babysit. kids are in play place," james says out loud while texting.

"this is perfect, you can watch the gray boardwalk game..." i trail off not liking how boring the name is. "we just finished laser tag and the boys won so they're up one point currently. taylor and steven are doing rock climbing right now and then we'll move onto the new challenge." james nods along to my explanation as we walk over to the rock climbing section. we lean against the wall on the outside since it's getting quite crowded bellow the walls. i make eye contact with conrad briefly and realize he was saying something before i ran off to james.

"how does someone win?" he asks and i break eye contact with conrad. "most points, the loser has to ride on the droppy ride," i say mimicking how the ride brings up up high and then drops too done fast with my hands. "that's the punishment? that's like my favorite ride i love tower of terror," james says his face full of confusion. "that's the name," i say glad he remembered it cause i never could. "mine too, but most of everyone else either hates it or gets sick on it."

i look up to taylor and steven nearing the top. they started when i was talking to james. taylor looks like she's going to win which causes the girls to start to cheer louder but stevens long arms make him go farther then her and he's able to grab the bandanna seconds before her. the guys cheered him as he descends down awkwardly. i clap knowing taylor will be disappointed to loose to the boys again. "don't worry about it. you can't help being way shorter then him. just think he would have lost if you guys were the same size," i call to the dirty blonde who smiles her sickens white and straight teeth at me. "woahhh," jermiah argues. "don't listen to that crap steven. you the man!" i roll my eyes at him before leading james over to the girls huddle to strategize.

"oh hey james," belly smiles finally realizing the boy was here. james smiles politely at the girls and gives cam a friendly nod. "oh, this is sky, they're conrad and jeremiah's cousin," i explain and james smiles to them friendly enough. "okay pleasantries are done, it's time to win," belly orders in her best captain voice. "y'all, it is okay. i love being the underdog, it fuels me," belly explains and james looks to me with mock horror which makes me laugh. "so where to next?" cam asks as the boys make their way over. "their call," she nods to the boys.

"i don't know about you, but it might be time to shoot your shot," conrad says while whispering the last part. while everyone is processing conrad's proposal he walks through the crowd bumping belly and i's shoulder while leading the way. a round of ohhhh and oooooos pass through as we all follow the tall brunette. we walk out and i feel like a hit a wall when the heat hits me. "who's up?" i ask as we arrive to the basketball hoops. this is the one carnival game that doesn't feel rigged even though it probably is in some way. "jer and belly," conrad answers while throwing them each a ball.

"five balls each! most baskets win! on your mark, get set.... go!" cam announces having more fun then I thought it would be. i watch jer and belly tease each other playfully and it makes me smile at how happy they are. "come on jer!" conrad cheers from next to me as i cheer for belly.

jer shoots and he makes it. he turns to face us and does a silly bow as he everyone cheers. "your turn," he smirks down at his girlfriend. "okay okay," belly rolls her eyes before throwing the ball and making it too. the girls are starting to cheering louder then the boys. "see, not that hard dude," belly says and even though it sounded like she friend zoned him she really basically him babe. "i swear to god jer if you loose on purpose just to get some i will murder you," Conrad threatens and jer raises his hands in mock sounder. "i don't have to do anything to get some but be myself. she's all over me," jer flexes causing belly to blush. "okay can you not. little sister. remember!" steven groans out causing us all to laugh.

jer shoots his next ball and makes it. then belly makes it and it goes back and forth. both teams are on edge waiting for the other to mess up. jer starts to get cocky and throws one without looking, he makes it surprisingly and then belly makes it. when it gets back to jer he throw it and it misses. I hear conrad groan beside me and i send him a teasing smirk. "not so good now," i say in my best singsong voice. "jers just getting tired," he argues and i tut my lips to watch belly's final throw. she shoots and we all stand in aw, when the balls bounces on the rim it looks like it's going to go out but it end up tipping right into the net. belly starts cheering and hurling insults at jer who's smiles down at her with so much love i feel jealous. I jump up and down, "beat that!" i scream toward conrad's who's smiles down at me like he used to and i feel my cheeks redden. "we did it!" taylor cheers while pulling me into the hug with our team. sky gets really into it and hurls some math insults to jer who stars shocked. "yeah! what she said!" i tell jer who still looks confident to what sky meant.

"so where to?" conrad asks us and i smile knowing exactly where we need to be. i look to belly for approval and she nods willingly. "dancing time," i say while smirking up to the boy i used to love.