All I Needed Was A Friend

Trigger Warnings: Death, Car Accidents, Cancer.

All I needed was a friend, but you weren't there.

Through the darkest parts of my life all I needed was someone to hold my hand and tell me everything was going to be alright. But you weren't there.

No one checked on me, I was used to that already. But I thought you were different, I thought you would care. Yet you still weren't there.

How could I lie and say I'm fine when no one even asked 'how are you' to start? Not just you but everyone else. Yet you had days, months, years... I messaged you countless times. So why weren't you there?

Always on my own, everyone always leaves. I should have known you were just like everybody else. Four times you ghosted me, yes I counted. That was four times my heart got broken. Yet I left the door open. I never gave up hope that maybe some day you would be there.

Put aside the one month we dated before you ghosted me for the first time. I still needed a friend when my brother died as a passenger in a car accident. I still needed a friend when my cousin died with him as the driver of the car accident. What a surprise? You answered the call that night. What a surprise? You ghosted me again for two months for the third time in my life. Yes, I am surprised that you weren't there.

Put aside the one month we dated before you ghosted me for the first time. I still needed a friend when they found the almost overlooked, aggressive cancer two months later. I still needed a friend and you told me you would be there this time. I still needed a friend when I fought for my life for six months with no visitors in hospital other than my Mother. All I needed was a friend, but you never visited, you ghosted me for the last time. You weren't there.

I told the internet my story. I vented in a chapter of a story that barely had a few thousand reads. Suddenly I wasn't alone, I had hundreds of comments from strangers online. They made me cry. They made me feel supported, worthy, cared for, and loved. All I needed was a friend in real life, and you weren't there, so they were instead.

All I needed was a friend. And I'll never forget how you weren't there.