Chapter One

"Forgive others not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace." -Jonathan Lockwood Huie

.

.

.

⫷ H A P P Y    H O U S E ⫸

.

.

.

Sam couldn't help but chuckle internally at the sight of the brunette completely knocked out, sleeping peacefully with his head lying against the glass window like a little kid. His eyes traveled back toward the road, trying to focus on the fact that Colby was now safe and not the moments before. He wondered if that man, the one who didn't deserve the title of a father, ever even cared; The endless amount of pain and abuse Colby endured throughout his life was enough, that man showing no mercy toward his own son.

The blonde would always be grateful for the things in his life because of Colby's experience, knowing that all of the cruelty the brunette had to go through was much more than Sam ever had to go through--not that it mattered, of course, but it made him remain grateful for what he had.

For years, Sam and Colby have been by each other's sides. The older male has seen everything, heard everything, felt everything, etc. Sometimes Sam wished he could've done more for Colby, protected him more; Colby deserved the world, Colby deserved safety, and no matter how hard Sam tried, he couldn't provide it. He just wished he could've done more. He still wants to do more.

But Colby was safe now, right? They're moving to Los Angeles, so it should be fine--it has to be fine. There's no chance Colby's dad would ever find him again, Sam would make sure of it; Sam would make sure that nobody laid hands on Colby like that ever again. 

.

.

.

Eyes opening slowly, consciousness slowly seeped into Colby as he felt his mind come back to him while his slumber ended. His memory was hazy, foggy even, as he couldn't recall the events before. 

Suddenly, a familiar voice spoke, "Morning, sleeping beauty," 

Colby forces his gaze toward the voice even though he already knows who it is. With a soft smile on his face, Sam sat right beside him in the driver's seat with his eyes focused on the road, determined to get to their destination. A warm feeling settled in Colby's body, kinda like comfort, he couldn't exactly explain it--he just felt happy.

"How long was I asleep for?" Colby's groggy voice asked as he reached up and rubbed his eyes tiredly, fatigue still flowing in his veins freely. 

"Eh, not that long. I'd say about an hour." Sam told him before continuing, "We still have quite a bit to go, about two hours left." An annoyed groan escaped Colby's lips, not wanting to be stuck in a seat for much longer as he had already grown sick of it. Sam chuckled as he came up to a red light and pulled the car to a stop. 

Sam then turned to Colby and said, "Don't worry, man. It's not as long as you think it is." 

Colby rolled his eyes with a smile, looking over at Sam. "Says the guy who edits for hours straight and doesn't realize he's been doing it for five hours."