Book 2: Chapter 1

Never would I have thought I would see the love of my life in this cold and defenseless state. The life completely drained out of him. His eyes no longer lighting up my world. The little smirk he would give me when we went back and forth. The way he would hold me for hours. The way his voice got softer once I came around. The little soft spot he had for me and his family. Oh gosh, I'm never going to see him again.

2 weeks ago Rocco died. We had to bury him and I wasn't even able to see him one last time. The casket was closed and it's a strict rule in mafia families that if he demands it it can't be opened. I didn't want to send him off. I couldn't bear to see them carrying him to the hole 6 feet deep into the ground.

Closing my eyes I let the tears fall as I look at his headstone. I feel so empty. I'd been lucky enough to find someone who loves me in this evil world full of power-hungry men. Then I go and get him killed. If only I had just stayed by his side. Maybe I could have saved him. My phone rings in my pocket and I look at it. It's a text from Sophia.

Sophia: You may not be feeling it right now, but I just wanted to let you know I have the pregnancy test.

Me: Okay I'll be home In an hour. I wanted to go visit him.

Sophia: You okay?

Me: Of course not, but he didn't die just for me to give my life away to depression.

Sighing I place my phone back into my pocket and sit next to his grave. "So I might be pregnant," I say aloud while looking up at the sky. "It's pretty weird that I'm talking to myself right now right." a small smile leaves my lips. Though I'm far from happy.

"It's crazy that I've been a virgin all these years and as soon as we slept together I got pregnant." Shaking my head a frown suddenly appears. I trace my hand over the gravestone. More tears fall down my eyes.

It feels so dark now. The world around me. I spent most of my time pretending like I hated this man. When really I started falling for him a lot sooner. He's the only man I've loved in this lifetime. The only man I want to love.

___________________

Sophia paces back and forth in my room with the box in her hand. I raise my brow at her as I walk in. "Took you long enough. I want to know if you're pregnant or not." She taps her foot on the ground.

"Were you waiting here all this time?" I ask.

"Yes." She rolls her eyes. "This is a big thing. I couldn't sit down without knowing if you are or not."

I walk over to her and take the box out of her hand. My hand starts to shake as I look down at it. "What if I am? It's not like Rocco is here anymore to share this with me." My eyes start to water once again.

Sophia grabs ahold of both of my shoulders. "Listen my brother wouldn't want you to feel like this. It can't be helped, but still, he'd want you to be strong. He would want you to take over for him. Rocco would want you to be the badass you are and show these people he's still living in your heart."

She's right. Rocco's going to need someone to take his place. He doesn't want it to be any of his siblings and I'm the next best thing. He'd want me to show everyone this mafia doesn't have a weakness just because he died.

As I start opening the pregnant test she starts to tap her foot even faster. "Ok, I'm going to go pee."

She nods as I take the pregnancy test into the bathroom. Closing the door behind me I then lift up the toilet seat. Biting my lip I pull down my pants. Closing my eyes as I pee on the stick worry starts to fill me. I don't want to raise a baby on my own. I'll take over for Rocco, but I'll need a reason to continue without him.