Delving Deeper

In the dim candlelight of Emily's parlor, The Midnight Society gathered once more, their faces illuminated by the flickering flames as they discussed the suspect list provided by Agent Blackwood. Emily Grace Montgomery, ever the meticulous journalist, took charge of the investigation, drawing the list on a sheet of parchment and pointing out the names with a delicate hand.

"Here we have Lord Cedric's business associates, Sir Reginald Hawthorne and Mr. Oliver Banks," Emily explained, her voice steady as she pointed to each name in turn. "Both men had financial disputes with Lord Cedric and stood to gain from his demise."

She moved her finger down the list, her expression growing more somber as she continued. "Then there's Lady Agatha Wexley, Lord Cedric's daughter-in-law. Rumor has it their relationship was strained, and she may have had motive for wanting him out of the picture."

Next to Lady Agatha's name, Emily carefully wrote "strained relationship" as the reason. She continued down the list, detailing each suspect and their possible motives with precision and clarity.

"And we mustn't forget Lord Cedric's own son, Henry Wexley," Emily added, her voice tinged with suspicion. "He stood to inherit the family fortune upon his father's death, and his relationship with Lord Cedric was less than amicable."

Arthur Benjamin Smith nodded in agreement, his mind already whirring with possibilities. "And what about the loyal household servant, Mr. Jenkins?" he suggested, his tone thoughtful. "He had access to the manor and intimate knowledge of its inner workings. Perhaps he saw or heard something that could shed light on the mystery."

As Emily noted down Mr. Jenkins' name on the suspect list, Arthur prepared to make his visit to the morgue. With a firm nod, he bid farewell to his companions and set off into the night, his destination clear in his mind – the St. James Morgue, located at 42 Whitechapel Street, London.

Arriving at the morgue, Arthur was greeted by the smell of antiseptic and the sterile hum of machinery. He wasted no time in seeking out the doctors who had performed Lord Cedric's autopsy, his keen mind already whirring with questions.

"Dr. Winston, Dr. Reynolds," Arthur greeted the doctors with a nod of respect, his tone courteous but determined. "I've come to learn more about Lord Cedric's cause of death and any clues you may have uncovered during the examination."

The doctors exchanged a glance, their expressions guarded but cooperative. "Lord Cedric died from a single blow to the head, likely delivered with a blunt object," Dr. Winston explained, his voice clinical but tinged with empathy. "We found traces of wood splinters and blood on the wound, indicating that the murder weapon was likely a wooden object."

Arthur's brow furrowed in thought as he absorbed the information, his mind already racing with possibilities. "And was there anything else of note discovered during the examination?" he inquired, his voice steady despite the gravity of the situation.

Dr. Reynolds hesitated for a moment before speaking, his tone measured. "We found evidence of recent bruising and abrasions on Lord Cedric's arms and torso, suggesting that he may have been involved in a struggle prior to his death."

With a nod of thanks, Arthur bid farewell to the doctors and made his way back to Emily's parlor, his mind buzzing with the new information he had gleaned. As he rejoined his companions, they settled in for a long night of discussion and deliberation, knowing that the clues they had uncovered would bring them one step closer to unraveling the mystery of Lord Cedric's murder.